Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I rebuilt my motor recently and am about to put it back in the car. I did put a new clutch/flywheel kit in about 10k miles ago, so it's all still fairly new. However, the shop I go to said he won't put a used clutch back in with a new motor no matter how new. He says it could wear out quickly. Now, it's not a built motor by any means. It's essentially a factory rebuilt long block with a new turbo and intercooler. So, I won't be pushing much more power. It's an Exedy stage 1 clutch kit with ACT Streetlite flywheel. Am I missing something, or is the shop just being cautious?

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I personally wouldn't. However many people do.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
The two options you've provided are not mutually exclusive.

It's entirely possible that you are missing something, and also the shop is being cautious.

I've never put a used clutch back into anything I'm keeping, but that's just me. Whenever I hear "oh we have to pull the gearbox" I'm looking for the nearest exit, because it's a lot of work and I don't like work.

I'd also go for a stock clutch and stock flywheel because I don't like swapping clutches and CELs.

You now have two diametrically opposed views in your responses.

Your call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two options you've provided are not mutually exclusive.

It's entirely possible that you are missing something, and also the shop is being cautious.

I've never put a used clutch back into anything I'm keeping, but that's just me. Whenever I hear "oh we have to pull the gearbox" I'm looking for the nearest exit, because it's a lot of work and I don't like work.

I'd also go for a stock clutch and stock flywheel because I don't like swapping clutches and CELs.

You now have two diametrically opposed views in your responses.

Your call.
Solid logic. Thank you. I've got some questions to ask the shop and some more to consider

1 - 4 of 4 Posts