Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im happy to be new to the site and a new owner of a 2015 WRX. I just have a quick question regarding my purchase. I had purchased the car last Monday with and aftermarket Corsa exhaust already installed. I love the sound. The next day i got a check engine light and brought it right back to the dealership. The dealership ran the codes and told me it was because of an aftermarket CAT. They said they had contacted the previous owner and he agreed to bring in the original one. When i got my car back i realized they didn't just change the CAT. they had changed the entire exhaust system back to stock. I believe the Corsa was a cat-back system so i have no idea why they changed the entire thing. When i confronted the dealership they said they would provide me with the Corsa exhaust but will not reinstall it. What is your take on this. Isn't it illegal to reinstall a used cat for a new owner? Should they have changed out the whole system? I feel a little taken advantage of.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,576 Posts
Are you in the USA? Any car sold by a licensed dealer in the USA must meet federal emissions regulations.

The dealer is correct to change the exhaust back to stock. If the correct part for the car is now fitted I don't quite see what else you can do. You could demand that the dealer fit an entirely new Subaru OEM exhaust and if they give you any lip whatsoever you can mention that you're filing a complaint with the EPA. However I don't know if that will tie up your car while it's in the paper trail, and/or if you can actually prove anything at this point (since the car has the correct exhaust now).

It is unclear to me whether the dealer is a criminal or not. Selling an illegal car knowingly is just not on. However who knew what, and when, is difficult to prove.

You could contact an environmental lawyer. My state takes public health really seriously, so there are over 50,000 environmental lawyers from whom to choose. Your area may have a different number, but they will have someone.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
Hey guys im happy to be new to the site and a new owner of a 2015 WRX. I just have a quick question regarding my purchase. I had purchased the car last Monday with and aftermarket Corsa exhaust already installed. I love the sound. The next day i got a check engine light and brought it right back to the dealership. The dealership ran the codes and told me it was because of an aftermarket CAT. They said they had contacted the previous owner and he agreed to bring in the original one. When i got my car back i realized they didn't just change the CAT. they had changed the entire exhaust system back to stock. I believe the Corsa was a cat-back system so i have no idea why they changed the entire thing. When i confronted the dealership they said they would provide me with the Corsa exhaust but will not reinstall it. What is your take on this. Isn't it illegal to reinstall a used cat for a new owner? Should they have changed out the whole system? I feel a little taken advantage of.
The dealership illegally sold the vehicle. It's their duty to rectify the problem. Not reinstalling the cat back is a **** move.

Most states allow for returns of vehicles after purchase for a period of time. It may be worth threatening that, or just doing it. Honestly, you are way better off just finding one that's not been modified.

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
The dealership illegally sold the vehicle. It's their duty to rectify the problem. Not reinstalling the cat back is a **** move.

Most states allow for returns of vehicles after purchase for a period of time. It may be worth threatening that, or just doing it. Honestly, you are way better off just finding one that's not been modified.
This.

They should have installed an entire OEM exhaust from the dealership by law before selling it publicly.

Some catbacks aren't 50-state compliant.

You're not being "taken advantage of" -- they are rectifying their original mistake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I live in NY. I guess my main concern was changing the cat-back. I realize they had to change the cat to oem. This is what i agreed to with the dealership, but i don't understand why they would change the rest of it. I guess my next question is how hard is it to install a cat-back exhaust on this car? I'm no beginner on working on cars but i have never touched an exhaust.

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
If they are giving you an OEM exhaust + the Corsa (uninstalled), what is the concern here?

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
Sounds like you won overall.

They installed the legal exhaust and you get an aftermarket exhaust to install should you wish to modify.

The only thing to make sure is that the car is running an OEM ECU calibration

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
15,595 Posts
Sounds like you won overall.

They installed the legal exhaust and you get an aftermarket exhaust to install should you wish to modify.

The only thing to make sure is that the car is running an OEM ECU calibration
This.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I guess my next question is how hard is it to install a cat-back exhaust on this car?
It all depends on how easily the joints fit back together, since it was already on the car. My joints were nearly seized together when I took mine off. I had to beat them free with a rubber mallet and it was quite difficult.

If they fit back together it's really simple. You might be able to find the instructions online. Otherwise, there are youtube videos to help you out. Just make sure you have all of the hardware. Nuts, bolts, and gaskets. You may need to buy replacements. If you're all set on the aforementioned information, just give yourself plenty of time. Use PB blaster to loosen the nuts and loosen the joints. Make sure to have a breaker bar on hand. Don't over tighten the clamps. A torque wrench should help. It took me a couple hours while making sure to really take my time. It's all in the preparation.

If they are giving you an OEM exhaust + the Corsa (uninstalled), what is the concern here?
I thought the same thing.

·
Æternum
15,474 Posts
A catback exhaust install is one of the easiest modifications to perform on a car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a 2015 which throws a check engine light every now and then, I've taken it in a few times only to be told it's something different. Anyways, I would think they would have cleared the code 1st and seen if it came back before replacing the exhaust right?

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
I also have a 2015 which throws a check engine light every now and then, I've taken it in a few times only to be told it's something different. Anyways, I would think they would have cleared the code 1st and seen if it came back before replacing the exhaust right?
It's pretty obvious a modified cat will throw a code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts