ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
Picked up my 2019 wrx about a month ago and just broke it in (1000 miles). Took her in for an oil change aswell and after went WOT 1-2-3 LOL. This is my first manual car and I am still struggling with driving it. I have watched so many videos on manual and really thought I would have it down by now but nope. The bite point is high and transmission is notchy. When I go into 3rd, it is like there is a barricade but it always goes in (sometimes 2nd too). Is all this normal? I don't really stall much but the ride is just jerky and not so smooth. I do get smooth starts and shifts a fair amount of times though. Also, ever since I got the car, the clutch has been squeaking at the bite point and the dealer just told me to bring it back at 4k for another oil change and inspection but when I got home I realized it was squeaking even more. What do you guys think? Also, any tips for driving the wrx? Should I just settle for an auto?
Thanks!

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Could be your throw out bearing or a glazed clutch. New driver, I'd lean toward you've smoked it a few good times.

If it's the pedal throw squeaking throw out bearing. Common Subaru failure.

The gate you are feeling is the synchro trying to match the speed between the input shaft and the transmission. It's best not to push against it, synchros are expensive to replace. I can't speak to the high engagement point, I've heard people say theirs is high to find out it's about the middle of the throw of the pedal. They were used to worn clutches that had an engagement point close to the bottom.

In time you'll get smoother. Focus on learning to drive it before you Colin McRae yourself into a tree.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've driven a manual for 19 years and never had an issue like that. I would recommend taking someone w/ manual experience for a ride and letting them observe how you are driving and then let them drive to see if it continues to happen.

I recently had an issue unrelated to this and took the mechanic out for a drive because he couldn't replicate my issue. As soon as I drove the car and showed him he was in shock. Sometimes extra eyes/ears and experience in the vehicle will help more than you think.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As far as the car not falling into gear properly you need to take your time. Never force the car into gear. Apply a little pressure until it slides in smoothly. Don't shift your car too fast, even when flogging it. Rev matching helps. (youtube it) If you take your time and really pay attention eventually you'll get a good feel for the transmission and understand what it likes and what it doesn't like. If it doesn't feel smooth or natural then you're probably doing something wrong.

Don't go wide open throttle or through the gears quickly until you get this down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
ProZach626
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing