ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my STI paid-off next month, I've slowly come to realization that I will likely never modify the STI. Too much risk and not enough reward.

Still, beating in my chest is a mechanical heart (figuratively, not literally). I've found that wrenching on Motorcycles is very rewarding. I also evidently have an obsession with boxer-powered vehicles since this makes number 3 in my stable. Welcome Jess the 2005 BMW R1200GS!

Next to my '83 RT that will be my garage queen.

Jess in her natural environment -- a (soon-to-be-closed) gravel/dirt fire road. No, it's not a GS Adventure. Yes it will be spending 99% of its time on Tarmac.

·
BooSTIng
2,827 Posts
Awesome Zach. Always loved BMW bikes. I miss my motorcycle. I think once the STi is paid off in a few years I will buying a new gsxr. Been itching for another bike for a while now.

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. BMW R-bikes are an acquired taste. The first time you ride an Airhead (the old 2v bikes like my '83) you will hate the bike. It's slow, clunky, has a "meh" exhaust note... did I mention SLOW? Toyota Corollas are faster. But I implore you to find a bike with more character. Seriously. After 500 miles on an Airhead, everything else just sucks. I've never driven or ridden anything else that feels more raw mechanical.

The R1200 is a better bike in every way. The big twin adds a balance shaft which makes the 101mm diameter pistons almost as smooth as the R80. It has 100hp (double the R80's 50hp), ABS, and a 6spd vs. 5spd. Despite all of that, for local trips I'd rather swing my leg over the R80. Explain that.

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
I would think the lighter more mechanical feel is more engaging and fun to ride. It's why people love vehicles with no drive by wire stuff.

I always wondered if the horizontal engines provided different riding dynamics, I would think the heavier bits being even lower would make it feel super alive.

·
Æternum
20,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think the lighter more mechanical feel is more engaging and fun to ride. It's why people love vehicles with no drive by wire stuff.

I always wondered if the horizontal engines provided different riding dynamics, I would think the heavier bits being even lower would make it feel super alive.
Believe it or not, the R80 is actually heavier by 50 lbs or so.

The low CG really improves the low-speed dynamics of the bike. In the parking lot, a 500lb R-bike will feel more like a 300lb bike. It's the reason that the original R80G/S was remotely possible and the reason the R-bikes have been the choice of police forces across the globe.

It's still a 500lb bike, and I'd be hard-pressed to call the GS a true Enduro. It might feel lightweight, but when that front end digs into the sand, it digs in just like you'd expect from a 500lb bike.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,073 Posts
That's a nice bike!

Not a BMW, but I saw a used '12 KTM 300 and I'm thinking of buying it. It looks good and runs great except needs some minor fixing.
How about less spamming so I do less banning?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts