Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I just bought a Siver Subaru WRX Premium.....(CVT Transmission :redface:)

I have parents that don't really care much bout cars and focus on reliability and price, so pretty much all they've owned are Toyota's and Honda's :( nothing against both the companies but I'm an enthusiast and hang around car guys who drive GTR's, Lambo's and etc. When it comes to getting a car for myself I just wanted something with power AWD and a good daily.

Story of Negotiating at the dealer

I started emailing a bunch of dealers getting quoted on numbers so we didn't waste time going from dealer to dealer negotiating, first off we went Puente Hills Subaru (which I don't recommend at all) they gave us a quote at 420 a month with 1000 down for a LEASE, the manager just was very dry and then lead us to believe that Subaru does not have incentives and there was no possible way of lowering the price, after denying we were on our way out and they ran behind us trying to get us to lease it at 390 with 1,500 down so we just left. Next day I emailed Subaru of Glendale and they gave me a quote of 375 a month w/ 1000 down and we went and took it. We got it on a 3 year lease 12k miles a year. My original choice was the Limited but I didn't want to push my father knowing he would back out. I plan on buying it after the lease is up.

Things I dislike
I've had the car for about 6 days now and I couldn't be happier, few cons of having the premium. First the gas mileage isnt as good as i thought it would be, may be to me driving it fast but then I started driving it slow and at low RPM's and it improved slightly. I don't mind the seats everyone finds them really comfortable so do I, only thing is the non powered driver seat but its all fine. The arm rest is just a joke, I plan on getting that re-done somehow. The thing that bothers me the most is the speakers, it makes me wish I got the limited but hey i expected it. I listen to music on a low volume and enjoy the engine sounds so its a pro and a con but I hope to upgrade the speakers, advice would be greatly appreciated. Overall the car itself is great and hope to do a great amount of modifying.

Insurance Costs
So I live in SoCal and have Triple A insurance, just got the car added today and wasn't expecting the quote they gave me. I am 19 and have only had 1 ticket but did my traffic school for that so it should all be fine. The ticket was for speeding and got written up at 100 mph, that was about 2 years ago. For insurance I told them its garage kept, pleasure, drive 6k miles yearly and no previous accidents. Now Im on for full coverage 2,600 a year.:unhappy: didnt expect that but thought it would be better if i left my family policy and got quoted on my own and nothing changed :/

Future Modifying
I want to get started on modifying the car but like everyone don't know where to start I want to stay within warranty. The first things I want to are of course a Tint, don't know if I should do go limo all around or just on the back windows just because I don't want to have a reason to get pulled over and visibility is a pain in the a**. I want to vinyl wrap the roof gloss black, and really want to get an exhaust but dont know if I should take it easy and get the Nameless axleback or just go for a full turbo back and tune it (I will need a tune obviously but was wondering if a cobb AP would take care of this), from there I would do more looks than performance mods. Once I get enough money saved up I want to get a full wrap, then other engine mods.

Thanks, appreciate help and opinions. Let me know what you think!

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Turbo back will cause issues getting engine and drivetrain related issues handled with the warranty and fail emissions 99.9% of the time.

Tint and visual mods are personal but a lot of members here have beautiful rides. Track ready to lifted and ready for rally x events.

If you drive around 100mph everywhere your gas mileage is gonna be poor, that's just common sense, and you should be following the break in procedure listed in your owners manual. Sub 4k, no cruise control, no full throttle, no long idle, etc.

These cars are faster than your driving ability and can kill you and others on the road. It's a tragic reality and one you need to be aware of. We were all young and stupid once obey traffic laws, and drive defensively.

There are many threads and discussions about the stereo. I don't listen to mine so I don't have any advice, but from what I've read a head unit alone makes a fair improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Welcome to the club.
Being on a parents' insurance policy is typically less costly than on your own.
I get an average of 34mpg with my car. Your CVT may not get this, but could get close if driven for it. There is a sticky thread telling all about how to drive (and maintain the car) to get higher mpg.
I like un-powered seats much better. I can slide my seat into position manually much faster than the electric motors do it.
I agree on the armrest; I made my own that fits in the cupholders in front of the existing rest.
Will your father adopt me and buy me a car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new car!

I still remember when I was your age, I was still in school and trying to save my money ;)

I agreed with what XJman said, please follow the break-in procedure for this car. There are many threads in here that can help answer your modification question. IMO, this is one of the best helpful thread other than NASIOC.

Last thing please see what XJman said "These cars are faster than your driving ability and can kill you and others on the road. It's a tragic reality and one you need to be aware of. We were all young and stupid once obey traffic laws, and drive defensively." Great advise on young driver like you! Enjoy your your car and don't forget to wave if you see other Subies on the road!

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Why tho thats no fun
Subaru is fairly reliable and a well taken care of car can go 150k. However it isn't unheard of to see a well taken care of car dead at 20k. I'm going to stereotype because of your age and me being there. Knowing the typical driving style of a young person, and the abuse they dish out to vehicles. I would value that warranty dearly. I wouldn't do anything to risk getting a claim denied. It's not cheap to replace major mechanical components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
Upgrade the crappy stock headunit and go with the Subaru / Kicker upgrade speakers and tweeters. But obv keep the stock unit in case you return the car once the lease is up. IAH, I wouldn't touch anything that could change up the car that could avoid warranty. If you want noise and 'maybe' 10hp, look at the nameless axle back exhausts (nameless claims the power increase)

On mpg, you got a turbo 4 with AWD ...don't expect much. I'm running a turboback exhaust with a cbe and a protune... i average around 21.. 27 highway usually.

Like everyone else stated, follow break in, don't go over 4K rpm, no cruise control, no hard braking, don't hit boost... until you are over 1000-1100 miles and don't use Mobil 1! But def change it after 1000 or so to something you want to use... maybe since it is a lease just find coupons and go to the dealer for the oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upgrade the crappy stock headunit and go with the Subaru / Kicker upgrade speakers and tweeters. But obv keep the stock unit in case you return the car once the lease is up. IAH, I wouldn't touch anything that could change up the car that could avoid warranty. If you want noise and 'maybe' 10hp, look at the nameless axle back exhausts (nameless claims the power increase)

On mpg, you got a turbo 4 with AWD ...don't expect much. I'm running a turboback exhaust with a cbe and a protune... i average around 21.. 27 highway usually.

Like everyone else stated, follow break in, don't go over 4K rpm, no cruise control, no hard braking, don't hit boost... until you are over 1000-1100 miles and don't use Mobil 1! But def change it after 1000 or so to something you want to use... maybe since it is a lease just find coupons and go to the dealer for the oil change.

Thanks! Im actually picking up the nameless axleback today, I am following the break in as well although I do speed from time to time and its only seen over 4k rpm about twice. The person im buying the axleback from is also selling me a stillen cold air intake which im probably not going to install until down the line, plus it is a lease but I do plan on buying it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
There has been a fair amount of good advice. Check the oil regularly. Turbo engines can and do use oil. Yours may or may not. However, it only takes a couple of minutes to pull the stick.

These cars have higher handling limits than most drivers. Thankfully, they are set more to a gentle transition to under-steer. That being stated, over-driving one's skill set can be deadly. There is much to be learned from AutoX sessions. If funding allows, a good driving school is worth the money. I've had very good luck with both Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant https://bondurant.com/advanced-teen-driving/.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
Thanks! Im actually picking up the nameless axleback today, I am following the break in as well although I do speed from time to time and its only seen over 4k rpm about twice. The person im buying the axleback from is also selling me a stillen cold air intake which im probably not going to install until down the line, plus it is a lease but I do plan on buying it!
I wouldn't install the intake unless you look at getting a protune. Right now the OTS for Cobb only supports Mishimoto, Cobb, and ETS. MAPerformance sells a fender sucker and includes a tune as well.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
I wouldn't install the intake unless you look at getting a protune. Right now the OTS for Cobb only supports Mishimoto, Cobb, and ETS. MAPerformance sells a fender sucker and includes a tune as well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
A Constant Velocity Transmission transmission?
\_0_/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also looked at there certified pre owned wrx models from the years 2014-2015 and they were selling those vechicles for 22-23K, knowing the Wrx tends to hold its value in 3 years from now a 2017 wrx should not cost less then 21K with that being said im interested in leasing which means i would pay around 8K for 36 months, correct? (Please let me know if im wrong) i plan on doing a 2,000 down payment leving me to pay 6,000 with in 36 months which I calculated to be 170 per month. Now my question is why is everyone on the forums stating there are paying $250-$300 a month. Am i missing something? Did I calculate wrong? Please let me know. Also i dont drive more then 8K miles a year so the plan with 10k miles would be more then enough (i would return the car with less then 30k miles)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts