Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stopped back at the dealer to pick up my plates. Nothing exciting about the rear plate except I think they should use stainless screws.

But in the front! No provision for mounting a USA-sized front plate without drilling holes and running sheet metal screws into what? Thin plastic? The two provided holes look to be for the wider Euro/Japan style plates.

I can make a bracket that picks up the two existing holes using well nuts, but That is a PITA and will have to be painted, etc. The dealer showed me a photo of an aftermarket mount that put the plate off to the side and vulnerable to car wash brushes Not interested in that.

So, is there any other kind of center-mount aftermarket bracket to work around this brain-dead design?

TIA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks, but that is the one the dealer showed me. I really don't want to fool around with the side-mounting. They also said that product sometimes doesn't play well with brush type car washes. I'm looking for something that uses the existing two holes to center-mount a USA style plate.
I'd stay away from those type of car washes if you want to keep your car's finish like new.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Another option: I used Skene Designs bracket, mounted it so my bottom edge of my license plate frame actually rests on the Subaru front underspoiler, as below pic. However, if no front splitter, not an issue and still be mounted in that area, as the Skene Designs system give you some flexibility in terms of height and angle...

Attachments

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I drilled two holes in the center line of my plate to match the existing bumper holes and painted two screw heads to match the plate location colors.......no bracket at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OP here. Just to tie this thread off, I did receive the mounting kit today and installed it in about two minutes. It's very well done and all the screws are stainless steel. Unlike @anarekist, I mounted it with the bumper holes toward the top, so the plate hangs a little lower. $20 well spent. Thanks to @Wrexic for the lead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts