ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our new 12 WRX last week. First WRX, first Subaru. Got the tint done and been putting miles on it to break it in. Reading up on mods. Don't wanna lose warranty, pretty much first priority. Only real performance option on car was the short throw shifter. Going to add OEM fog-light kit and HIDs. Thinking possibly down-pipe and tune. I want something I can tune and re-flash to stock if I need to take it in for service (and get no BS from dealership). What kind of gains would I see? I guess Cobb is the big go-to. What kinda 1/4 mi et's are these things running stock/with a light tune/DP? You guys think they'd still give me **** over the aftermarket DP? Thanks for your advice. CIMG0042.jpg CIMG0040.jpg CIMG0041.jpg CIMG0039.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know what it is called but did you paint your truck lip black or is that from the factory. I was thinking all 12' come in the same color as color is.
That's the SPT CF Trunk Trim. You have to order that from the dealership for your car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks! I knew short throw would shorten the length from changing gears. I also thought that the height would have been shorten... I ordered mine w a short throw as well but was concerned that it it was never installed. I was afraid that I was screwed over. Mine looks the same height so I guess I'm good lol. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
They put my original parts in the trunk the standard 5spd shifter as well as my factory arm rest.

Short throw with lathe werks

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Whats that thing in front of your shifter, in the little storage area?

·
Registered
288 Posts
They didn't give me the original for that? Hmmm. The only thing I got original was the rear view mirror and arm rest. The dealer at thrown those in for free last minute. However, when ordered, I only ordered the base w/ fogs and short throw.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are concerned about the dealership, don't do the downpipe. Best bet is to go in and talk to some type of service manager or something like that. Some are okay with it, and some arnt.

When you flash your ecu, it will record that. So every time you flash it, it will keep count. So your dealer can plug in their diagnostics and see what you were doing. For something like this, I've only heard of it happening with someone that had catastrophic engine failure.

If its your dd and you want the peice of mind of not worrying about anything. Dont do it. Find a nice catback exhaust, it will still improve your numbers. Not nearly as much as a tune and downpipe though.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
When you flash your ecu, it will record that. So every time you flash it, it will keep count. So your dealer can plug in their diagnostics and see what you were doing.
Highly unlikely unless you have serious engine issues & a Subaru engineer inspects your ECU.

Find a nice catback exhaust, it will still improve your numbers.
No it will not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Read the whole post. I already said its highly unlikely.

Your saying a quality catback exhaust won't increase horsepower or torque at all?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, in my mind, anything that would be a large-ticket item that would be a warranty issue, they're gonna try and find any way they can not to pay. If not catastrophic engine failure, then trans, axles, whatever it may be. Just a tune as I'm talking about with no other mods or just a DP then I'm sure it'd be less likely for them them to check, but they still could. This sucks. I mean, every WRX owner that puts a tune on their car is basically (potentially) screwed out of their warranty??? This is total BS. What about all of the other manufacturers (GM, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, Especially trucks, etc) and hand-held tuners? I've just never heard of this being an issue before. I understand that b/c of the turbo motor mods are potentially more detrimental to the motor, especially done incorrectly, but are other manufacturers the same way and far as just voiding your warranty and that's it? F-ing lame...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts