Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i have a few question i haven't really found a good answer to. So a quick back story (go to the next paragraph if you don't care), I bought this car from a used car dealership kinda on the fly as i was in the market for a newer car and wanted something sporty and we happened to drive past the dealership that my buddy bought his car from (kinda funny because its a 2012 gti also in white) we were looking around and the only 2 cars i actually liked were a 2009 WRX and the 2012 STI, i first hoped into the 2009 and the interior wasn't in the best of shape and high mileage (looks like previous owner had a bunch of gauges that had been taken out and overall needed work on the inside witch im kinda big about) then i went and got into the 2012 stil and fell in love, yes it was a limited. i took it on a test drive and absolutely enjoyed it (to wrap this up i bought the car, never saw myself driving a Subaru but now im completely in love with them) ive also only had the car going on 3 months now but its daily driven and i do drive a lot living in Alaska.

now for my real questions, so i live in Alaska where WRX's and STI are very popular for there sportiness and all season driving capability but i don't have any friends that drive them/don't know anyone personally, and have done a good amount of research on the car myself. I have 2 quick questions and 1 is simple one im pretty sure i know the answer to, the simple one is my drilled and slotted rotors are after market right?(ive seen a few sti's that ive actually been paying attention to and they dont have them) . my second question is on turbo/waste-gate (or blow off valve, but its a wate gate i dont care) noise ive driven a few sports cars that are stock and it doesn't put out nearly as much noise (im asking this because someone i dont know that well needed a ride home and he was telling me one of his close friends has the same car, not a limited but that doesn't matter anyways) he was telling me that the waste gate sounded a lot louder and the car seemed a bit faster.

the main reason im asking these questions in because this is the first STI/WRX that i have driven/been in

ps: pls dont say anything about not shopping around for STIs or test driving more then one XD the car is in great shape

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yo and sorry if i bored you and talked a lot this is the first and only forum i got into to as im not a big fourm guy but i dont really have anyone to discuss this with that has been around them a lot??

·
Æternum
16,060 Posts
one is my drilled and slotted rotors are after market right?
Yes, it is aftermarket. Drilled rotors are not the best solution, but as long as you check for legitimate cracks (NOT heat checking which is normal) the rotors should be fine. Easy swap anyway for a Centric blank.

my second question is on turbo/waste-gate (or blow off valve, but its a wate gate i dont care) noise ive driven a few sports cars that are stock and it doesn't put out nearly as much noise (im asking this because someone i dont know that well needed a ride home and he was telling me one of his close friends has the same car, not a limited but that doesn't matter anyways) he was telling me that the waste gate sounded a lot louder and the car seemed a bit faster.
I understand that you are new to this, but you need to define WHICH you think is aftermarket. A BOV/BPV and Wastegate or completely different parts on a car. Does it sound louder when you lift off the throttle or when you go full throttle? An aftermarket BOV is a popular modification and is a pretty big clue that the previous owner didn't know (or care) what they were doing.

Reactions: esteeye

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it is aftermarket. Drilled rotors are not the best solution, but as long as you check for legitimate cracks (NOT heat checking which is normal) the rotors should be fine. Easy swap anyway for a Centric blank.

I understand that you are new to this, but you need to define WHICH you think is aftermarket. A BOV/BPV and Wastegate or completely different parts on a car. Does it sound louder when you lift off the throttle or when you go full throttle? An aftermarket BOV is a popular modification and is a pretty big clue that the previous owner didn't know (or care) what they were doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

has to be a BOV now that you say, it is pretty loud and noticeable, it’s winter now but when summer comes I intend to go thru the car and figure out if anything else is done to it as I intend to build this car

·
Æternum
16,060 Posts
has to be a BOV now that you say, it is pretty loud and noticeable, it’s winter now but when summer comes I intend to go thru the car and figure out if anything else is done to it as I intend to build this car
You would do well to find and install a stock BPV.

Should be making you wonder what other idiot mods the previous owner did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.