Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....i looked through all of the threads in the tranny section, and i didn't really find anyone with the same problem. something is definitely wrong with my transmission. the problem started just a couple days ago and its only happened a few times, which is just great cause i can't reproduce it. so anyway, the first time, i was accelerating normally from a stop, shifted into second, it grabbed on in second gear just fine, but then a moment later it just completely dropped out of gear. The shifter stayed in the 2nd gear slot, but it wouldn't grab on again, so i had to shift into 3rd to keep going. Another time, the same thing (almost) happened in first gear....it grabbed on, i started moving, then it let go, but that time it grabbed on again after a second or two. The problem is definitely in the gearbox, not the clutch or differential. My first thought was a broken tooth, but i really have no idea whats wrong.

I did learn to drive a MT in this car, but i only dropped the clutch a couple times (no more of that), and other than that i wasn't really too hard on the transmission

thanks in advance for any shedded light (hope that made sense)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't had that exact problem... but something close...

From time to time, 1st gear will feel like it's not completely grabbin. I'm movin, but slowly and when I go to shift to 2nd it's like the almost automatically pops outta 1st into neutral. I haven't had the problem with 2nd... always 1st.

I dunno if I'm not completely puttin it into 1st or if I got the clutch up too far or what... but that's what's been happenin to me every now and then.

Let us know what you find out... Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone else have any idea what might be the problem?

i was just driving for 3 hours and it didn't mess up at all, but i'm still kinda worried, because for all i know it could happen again any minute.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Intermitent problems are extremely frustrating. Don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't know how that would be the transmission and not the clutch if it fully engages into the gear you selected and the gear selector doesn't pop out of it's "gate" (position).

No grinding? No gear clashing noises when shifting into or out of this situation?

How can you be sure it's not the clutch?

When you shifted into second and the car didn't go - did it feel like it was in neutral? Could you rev the gas freely?

Hope things get better! You've piqued my curiosity. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thats the exact same thing i was wondering....i guess a clutch problem is a possibility, but that wouldn't really make sense either, because the clutch worked just fine and then the power just stopped going to the wheels

is it possible that the shifter jumped just barely out of gear, like enough to seperate the gears but not all the way into neutral?

there was no grinding, but it just sounded like the the connection just broke somewhere. the revs dropped, but i didn't want to hit the gas just to "see what happens" :) . it all happened really fast and i just shifted into 3rd right away, so it wasn't very easy to diagnose.

review:
-no gear grinding or trouble shifting afterwards
-clutch was engaged before it happened every time
-it caught back on one time without any driver input
-it worked today just fine

the only other thing i can think of is that i was riding the clutch, but i make a point not to ride the clutch and i'm positive the clutch was FULLY engaged at least one of the times (foot completely off the clutch pedal)

should i take it to the dealer now? wait till it starts to happen again? it happened enough times that i'm sure it wasn't driver error.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hmmm... From the description it sounds like maybe your engine was dropping power and not the transmission being the "broken" link in the powertrain?

Was the A/C on? Could the A/C compressor clutch have kicked in right at the moment you felt the loss of forward acceleration? That used to be a common concern for the folks who I used to take care of at the Lexus dealership. They would come in complaining of slipping and/or broken transmissions when it was simply the a/c clutch kicking on and robbing the engine of power. With the same amount of throttle input, the car will feel like it's being "held back" or the customer would describe a "nose dropping" feeling - as soon as the clutch kicked off the power would come back and the car felt like it pepped up again...

I would take it to the dealer only when you've ruled out other possibilities and when you can regularly reproduce the problem. If the dealer can't reproduce the symptom they're just going to write "Roadtested vehicle - nothing out of the ordinary felt - could not replicate concern - please have customer try vehicle" and give it right back to you...

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts