Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just picked up my 17 WRX yesterday. Only 60 miles on the clock. Love it so far!

Yesterday it was starting fine every time however on 3 or 4 occasions today when I try to start it is was turning over for about 3-6 seconds before it would burst into life. I'm wondering if this is just new engine teething problems or a different issue. Has anyone else experienced this?

I should add that since I first noticed the problem i have given it a couple of seconds after inserting the key before starting but makes no difference.

Thanks

Aaron

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Inserting key does nothing. Insert and turn to "run" for a couple seconds before turning to "start." This lets fuel pump do its thing before cranking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I meant to say that I was turning the key to run, but it didn't seem to make much difference. It happened again first thing this morning. But seems to have been ok so far for the rest of the day. The car was parked in a garage overnight and not particularly cold outside so I don't think that would have been the issue.

Anyway, I'll see how it behaves over the next few days and if the problem persists I'll head back to Subaru.

Glad to be part of the WRX club!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 2016 has never had that problem. 3 to 6 seconds sounds like a long time for it to be trying to start, especially since it's not freezing outside. I'd take it back just to ask them about it and let them note it in your file at least.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My first 2015 WRX had the extended cranking problem . Mine did it everytime it was cold , no problem when it was warmed up . After 32 days in the shop Subaru NA traded me out of it and into another new 2015 WRX . I went from a base to a limited .

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the topic of starting problems....My brand new 2017 Premium turns over fine but it just seems like the battery is really weak. Its almost like it struggles to turn the starter. Maybe I'm used to quicker turning starters in my other vehicles??
Aaron

·
Registered
404 Posts
On the topic of starting problems....My brand new 2017 Premium turns over fine but it just seems like the battery is really weak. Its almost like it struggles to turn the starter. Maybe I'm used to quicker turning starters in my other vehicles??
Aaron
This is what my '16 does. Especially, if I don't let the fuel pump "prime" itself for two or three seconds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after another 3 days and 80 more miles on the car the starting problem seems to have resolved itself.

I did call into the Subaru garage a couple of days ago and told them about the issue. They said that it was most likely due to it being a brand new engine and to give it a few more miles.

Hopefully that is the end of that. The past 2 days it has been starting and running brilliantly. Still only 140 miles on the car so I'm keeping it under 4000rpm until she is properly broken in at 1000miles. Can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got a 2017 and in my first 900 miles I have never had an issue starting (knock on wood) and it gets to 29 degrees here (so far, I will report back when it's -29 in december).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The starting issue appeared again on Saturday, about 5 days since it last happened. I had started the car without issue in the morning, drove to my sons football match and then when I went to start the car after the match it turned over for about 5-6 seconds before I gave up. Tried again and it turned over for another 5 seconds before it burst into life. It was fine then the remainder of the day and has been fine since.

I brought it into the subaru garage this morning and they ran various checks however they did not find any problems. One of the mechanics who worked there told me that he recently got a new STI, and had the same issue about 2 times during the first few hundred miles but it has not happened again since.

I was given the line "the cars learn and it's still learning during the break in period" story. But they have the issue on file now at least so I'll give it a few more miles and see how we go.

Apart from that it's driving perfect!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The starting issue appeared again on Saturday, about 5 days since it last happened. I had started the car without issue in the morning, drove to my sons football match and then when I went to start the car after the match it turned over for about 5-6 seconds before I gave up. Tried again and it turned over for another 5 seconds before it burst into life. It was fine then the remainder of the day and has been fine since.

I brought it into the subaru garage this morning and they ran various checks however they did not find any problems. One of the mechanics who worked there told me that he recently got a new STI, and had the same issue about 2 times during the first few hundred miles but it has not happened again since.

I was given the line "the cars learn and it's still learning during the break in period" story. But they have the issue on file now at least so I'll give it a few more miles and see how we go.

Apart from that it's driving perfect!

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I had first got my 2015 Legacy last year, a few month into owning it, it did something similar. It wouldn't take a while to start but once it started it would turn itself off. The reason was something in the fuel pump system. I took it in and had them keep it for three days till they finally replicated it on the third day. They didn't know specifically what in the fuel system it was so they went ahead and replaced everything.

With that being said I'm not sure if the issue y'all are experiencing is related to the fuel pump. It seems for some the issue resolves itself as time goes on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the dealer is giving you bull****, if it ain't starting right now, it isn't going to learn. Something with your starter, or even MORE likely, your battery is bad.

As I said my 2017 has never done this (knock on wood).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They tested the battery when I brought it into the shop. It was fine. 2 days since it last had the extended crank problem. I wait and see and will keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Prime the fuel pump for several seconds before start, each and every time, like others have said. You will stop your problem and minimize unnecessary wear on your starter. Turning the key and quickly cranking is a sure-fire way to cause the delayed start problem. That's why it doesn't ever do it when the car is already warm - the pump has already been primed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5 days past and it hasn't happened again. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. I had been letting the fuel pump prime when I was experiencing the problem.

It'll probably happen again tomorrow now that I have given this update. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a new 17 also and have experienced a similar problem. I went to take a coworker for a ride and the darn thing wouldn't start without excessive turnover. It hasn't happened since, but I think the problem was one of two things. Either the computer was learning as your dealer said, or I had carbon buildup on the plugs from the break-in process. I have nearly 3000 miles on it now and it hasn't repeated, but I have noticed a lot of carbon on my tailpipes. I drive a lot of highway, and I think it runs rich at lower RPMs (where you're doing all of your driving for now). Personally, I wouldn't think too much of it until you get to blow that engine out with some aggressive driving.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 2016 wrx took 3 attempts to start today.

I'm might not have let it crank long enough the first attempt 2nd attempt I let it crank a few seconds (many times longer than it should take). Third attempt it cranks a little longer than normal and it starts. This wasn't a cold start in the morning this was while I was out shopping...

This has happened 2 other times over the last 9 months or so. I took it in to the dealer after the second time last spring and the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. They said they'd have to catch it in the act, and it is extremly rare so I don't see that happening.
I think I around 7000mi

1 - 20 of 48 Posts