Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I really need to upgrade my rims to 17' and get new 17' tires if I wanted to upgrade the stock tires?

How about new 16' tires on the stock rims? Would I get any benefit from new 16' tires that were rated better than the stock tires?

I am looking for improved performace without having to get new rims? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I think it will improve the performance if you get 17" rims. A good width would be 7.5" and if you emphisize on performance and have the $$ go for some lightweight rims.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could get better performance out of a better 16" tire, but..... Blazin's right..... 17's is still a better answer...

I am going back to stock rims for the winter, and replaciing those crappy re92's with some serious Winter tires (being in Omaha, I have to think about snow/ice and crap)

I have some friends that have the falcon ziex tires on their 16' wheeled rs's, and they are also great for autox'ing, the sidewalls are a lot stronger than our re92's, they are not so great for rain, but probably as good as the re92's are on dry pavement.....

Bottom line, if you like to throw your WRX into corners, and have better adhesion, a 17" with a lower profile, sticky tire would be a huge improvement, if you are a laid back easy going driver, then you're probably fine on the stock wheel and tire setup.

If cash is an issue, I'd hold off on tires and rims, until you can buy the rims... otherwise, you'd just be wasting $90+ per 16" good tire that you buy, only to replace them with 17" tires and rims later......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
After autoXing once with the RE92s the outer 1/4 of my tires were completely bald in the front. I'm just going to use them in the gravel parking lot around my house for the hell of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I will wait for awhile and get some life out of the stock tires since I am still breaking in my car. Then I will be ready for new tires and rims.

One other question, what kind of expected life would I get out of 17' tires? I put alot of mile on my cars. I drive 90 miles round trip to work and don't want a loud highway tire or have to replace all the time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
metaline said:
One other question, what kind of expected life would I get out of 17' tires? I put alot of mile on my cars. I drive 90 miles round trip to work and don't want a loud highway tire or have to replace all the time.
It all depends on the tire. I put a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-02pp's on, and they're mostly used up w/around 6k miles. There's a treadwear rating on each tire, comparing (of all things) the rate the tread wears. re92's are I think 160's meaning they wear pretty quick. There are alot of 17's on tirerack.com that have higher treadwear ratings, meaning they should generally be higher mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts