ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking possibly down-pipe and tune. I want something I can tune and re-flash to stock if I need to take it in for service (and get no BS from dealership). What kind of gains would I see? I guess Cobb is the big go-to. What kinda 1/4 mi et's are these things running stock/with a light tune/DP? You guys think they'd still give me **** over the aftermarket DP? Thanks for your advice. CIMG0039.jpg

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
No one can answer your question about your service department. Talk to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask the service manager if they are mod friendly or not.
Ok. Well that's a given. I was just looking for others' experiences if you had a warranty issue come up. Leaning more toward just the Cobb Stage 1 w/ no other mods. Trying to figure out what kind of 1/4 mile times I might expect. I've seen anywhere from low 14s to mid 13s on stock WRXs. Curious what forum members have seen. Thanks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
ad53030 said:
Ok. Well that's a given. I was just looking for others' experiences if you had a warranty issue come up.
Other people's experiences have little/no bearing on how you would fair. Some dealerships are more lenient than others. Shy of asking peoples experience with your particular dealer, the question is worthless. Another thing to consider is that the big warranty claims (e.g., motor), the claim is often handled by a regional manager, which the dealership has no say on.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Once you add a DP it will be very hard to try to go into the dealership claiming "stock". The Stage 1 tune gives a nice bump while being mild enough many dealers don't have issue with it. That said, once you've made any changes the dealer - any dealer mod-friendly or not - can choose to deny a claim if they see fit. Pay to play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a torqued performance stage 1 tune. You can use a cobb AP or opensource. My car ran [email protected] with this tune. Eric will also adjust your map to your car if needed.
So new to Subaru here, dumb question maybe... So you mean the tune is from Torqued Performance but the hand-held tuner is Cobb's Accessport? Is it really that different from Cobb's Stage I with for a '12 with no mods? What other mods did you have with the 13.21? That's pretty awesome and I'd be pretty happy with an ET like that. Ever have any detonation on CA's crappy 91 octane? Was that at Sac? Also, was told again that Subaru dealer could tell if your car had been tuned if you took it in for warranty work. I would think if you left the aftermarket tune on, sure they could. But if it was re-flashed back to stock before you took it in to the dealer, how could they ever know? Does it save your stock ECU's file under a Cobb file name that would somehow show when the interface? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So new to Subaru here, dumb question maybe... So you mean the tune is from Torqued Performance but the hand-held tuner is Cobb's Accessport? Is it really that different from Cobb's Stage I with for a '12 with no mods? What other mods did you have with the 13.21? That's pretty awesome and I'd be pretty happy with an ET like that. Ever have any detonation on CA's crappy 91 octane? Was that at Sac? Also, was told again that Subaru dealer could tell if your car had been tuned if you took it in for warranty work. I would think if you left the aftermarket tune on, sure they could. But if it was re-flashed back to stock before you took it in to the dealer, how could they ever know? Does it save your stock ECU's file under a Cobb file name that would somehow show when the interface? Thanks.

I ran that time at Infineon Raceway. The TP was a big difference from the Cobb stage 1. It is cheaper to go the open source tune. All you need is a PC laptop and the tactrix cable($180). Do some searching and you will find all the info you need. When you buy the TP tune you will send some data logs to Eric and he will adjust the tune if needed. I had some knock but Eric adjusted my map and everything is good now. The dealer can tell if you have flashed your computer. As far as your warranty goes it is all up to the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts