ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up,
I am new to this site, so far i am liking it a lot! I just got my new 05 WRX about 2 weeks ago...for the first time i am in love. I was wondering what first modications are recommended. Thinking of adding a little more power, but want to keep it safe and not too hard on the engine.I have to make this thing last..damn car loans!...thanks. Budget=$1500:cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
For 1500 i would go with:

SS Brake Lines $100
Cobb Accessport $600
Turboback exhaust $800

It will come a little over including shipping and what not. But you should be able to pull some clean, safe performance out of the engine, get a little nicer sound as well. And have a bit better brake performance to slow you down.

And btw, damn you, you bought my car. I mean exactly it, i will be purchasing a black 05 in about 4 months myself ;-)

Also on hindsight, you may want to invest in a set of wheels and some good rubber on them. Stock = **** handling

·
Registered
33 Posts
DjMestizo said:
Hey whats up,
I am new to this site, so far i am liking it a lot! I just got my new 05 WRX about 2 weeks ago...for the first time i am in love. I was wondering what first modications are recommended. Thinking of adding a little more power, but want to keep it safe and not too hard on the engine.I have to make this thing last..damn car loans!...thanks. Budget=$1500:cool:
offtopic the stock headlights on the 05' are sick!!! :eek: I am in love.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Kutarkvalidus said:
For 1500 i would go with:

SS Brake Lines $100
Just curious; do the SS brake lines make a really big difference?

·
Registered
227 Posts
lowering springs $200 for handling and looks, uppipe $199 and turboback exhaust $650 (Helix) and if you have leftover money or can save up a little more get and ecutek ecu reflash $650.

·
Registered
16 Posts
lowering spring if you dont like the ride height or look of the gap between front tires but i havent gotten em yet.

Crucial Racing uppipe 250 (shipped) DIY install with help from someone on this forum.

Turboback exhaust (800)

Sway bars (275 shipped) DIY install cause its easy

Some upgraded endlinks and droplinks (dont know how much those are but install is easy again so no money there)

SS brake lines (100) install is easy if you can bleed the lines

that all should be around 1500 dollars
and if you get money then get a nice ECU upgrade.

o and congrats on the car.... BTW the headlights mod needs to be done.... search for it and take out the organe pieces and paint the "poopy brown" inside part glossy black. i know subaru tried to make the headlights cool.... but IMO they only look good if they are really black.

chile

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rota rims + tires. (IIRC the new lug pattern is for the STi only)

Tires are the key component to turning all your suspension and power mods into reality. Start with a good foundation and build from there.

I'm planning on 17x8 rims (Rota Torques maybe) w/ 245s (And a fender roll)

·
Registered
460 Posts
+2 to that and....
get yourself an autospeed dead peddle while your at it - its expensive but it dresses up the interior very nicely and matches the stock peddles perfectly.....Definitely an AP and a turboback - those to mods alone are good for about 50-60 hp - you'll easily break into the 13's in your 1/4 mile with that setup and from what I hear its not hard on the car....but really, who likes to drive their rex in a straight line???? I know I don't :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
why not just gut your stock up for uhhh.... free:confused: that's what i did, got a cheap (price) bellemouth SS dp off ebay for $145, had a dp back system built $50, built my own i/c sprayer $30, 3/16 mod $1.50, removed silencer free, and bought a txs bov for $x (forget price) but all in all i've got less than $400 in my car and with just those mods alone cut a 13.7 so you can get some very cheap performance if you shop around;) btw sweet lookin car:eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
kessler89 said:
why not just gut your stock up for uhhh.... free:confused: that's what i did, got a cheap (price) bellemouth SS dp off ebay for $145, had a dp back system built $50, built my own i/c sprayer $30, 3/16 mod $1.50, removed silencer free, and bought a txs bov for $x (forget price) but all in all i've got less than $400 in my car and with just those mods alone cut a 13.7 so you can get some very cheap performance if you shop around;) btw sweet lookin car:eek:
true, research throughout this site and check for good deals in the private for sale/vendor for sale and even free mods.

·
Registered
553 Posts
$1500 applied toward additional principal at this point of your loan could make a big difference in the amount of interest youd pay over the loan term, not to mention pay it off quicker ;-)

best mods are better tires, better brake pads like EBC Green or Axxis U's, SS lines and find yourself a slightly used turbo back exhaust. I got my full turbo back exhaust, all new pads and rotors and lines for around $700 and installed it all myself and learned a lot about how everything works in this thing

·
Registered
309 Posts
dont do the 3/16th mod. Just dont. The other cheap mods like the IC sprayer are nice. A GM boost controller is a nice cheap mod. Some should be avoided though.

If you want to spend your 1500 dollars well:

Tires + Rotas (Your stock tires suck.. and if you are going to buy new tires you may as well get rims while you are at it. Should run about 800-900 total) Or just 400 for tires

get a godspeed downpipe.. replaces the cats and will give you a boost of power. 399 Helix is ok, but I'd try to find a bellmouth if you are ever even remotely thinking about upgrading the turbo.

Uppipe.. again godspeed or similar.. or you can gut your stocker, I chose to purchase one. 199

Engine Management - Either Cobb at 400, or a UTEC at 1000. I prefer the UTEC, but it will cost you more initially and more down the road because you'll need a WB 0/2 sensor and a laptop to tune it. Cobb is a plug and play -- but the map will never be tuned for your specific car.

GM Boost control soleoid - 30 dollars. Much faster boost response and it can hold more lbs. Its direct boost control rather than a bleed type.

So if you want the BEST bang for your buck while still having quality parts that wont need to be replaced if you decide to go bigger would be:

Tires 400
Downpipe 399
Uppipe 199 (could be free... just a preference)
Cobb 400
Boost control Sel 30

-------------
1430. The rest for shipping / taxes... (you'll prolly go a little over :D )

Rob

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
dosage0 said:
Engine Management - Either Cobb at 400, or a UTEC at 1000. I prefer the UTEC, but it will cost you more initially and more down the road because you'll need a WB 0/2 sensor and a laptop to tune it. Cobb is a plug and play -- but the map cannot currently be tuned for your specific car unless you live in Utah.
I made a small correction. Hope you don't mind...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts