Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my car for about a week and have broken it in overf then weekend (a short trip to LA should do the trick) ive only been driving stick for a week now and am very anxious for my first vicitm... There is a race crew in town with two CRXs one white and the other yellow, i follow these guys into a parking lot because they were revving like crazy and ask if either of them want to run... the white CRX accepts. We proceed to Turner Pkwy. and i coundown... 3.2.1 launch my launch sucked since i still had to go through turbo lag, but still i pulled pas him in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but the peice of $hit stayed riight there next to me. maybe its because my skills wiht a stick arent that good yet but damn its a crx... after i asked the guy wtf he has in his car, as i looked closer i noticed his whole interior was gutted and he said "93 GSR man" the damn thing had intake too. we went again and there was a car in front of me so i ahd to brake and considering i have three tickets on my record already (i just turned 17) i decided not to chase his ass down. but its all good just a terrible first experience ! wat do you guys think should of happened and give me some tips on my launch please ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
yep, you gotta be careful. everybody and their moms got a motor swap. especially a crx!! crx with a B16 is killer, crx with a b18 is even worse. dont underestimate the hondas...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't feel to bad, there's a video out that has a Turbo Civic beating a Viper. Being that light definately has its advantages in the 1/4 and under.

·
Registered
86 Posts
CRX with just a b16a or b18c wont beat a WRX. My friends 2.0 Rav block and GSR head couldnt beat me, but I didnt nessasarily blow him away either. He was about 5 cars behind me all the way to 80mph.

Now a fully rebuilt from bottom up b16a and b18c motor is another story. Adding a turbo is another story.

My old 95 civic hb b18c with t3/t4 hybrid did mid to high 13's on the 1/4 miles consistantly. Befor the turbo, it did a high 14 to low 15 consistantly. On the streets w/o slicks, i'd say it would do mid 15's pretty easy. This is in Colorado altitude.

·
Registered
218 Posts
GREDDY CRX with just a b16a or b18c wont beat a WRX. My friends 2.0 Rav block and GSR head couldnt beat me, but I didnt nessasarily blow him away either. He was about 5 cars behind me all the way to 80mph.

Now a fully rebuilt from bottom up b16a and b18c motor is another story. Adding a turbo is another story.

My old 95 civic hb b18c with t3/t4 hybrid did mid to high 13's on the 1/4 miles consistantly. Befor the turbo, it did a high 14 to low 15 consistantly. On the streets w/o slicks, i'd say it would do mid 15's pretty easy. This is in Colorado altitude.

to my knowledge a crx with just a b18c5 or b18c1 will smoke a stock wrx.

not trying to put you down or anything but i have a lot of friends that are into hondas and i was always told that the 92-95 hb with a b18c5 motor could run high 12's. now with a garret t3/t4 running what like 8psi should run low 12s properly tuned that is.

2.0rav with gsr heads? do you mean a 20b from a crv with gsr heads. to my knowledge that will also smoke a wrx if using the right ecu. if hes using the ecu from a crv he has no vtec but if he is using a properly tuned gsr ecu he will have vtec and that will in my mind beat a wrx.

This is just from what i have heard and read about from other people, magazines, and forums but i could be very wrong.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bottom line is: if you put enough money and effort into any car the results will be pretty damn amazing.... here in Lima there is a 1960-odd original German VW bug that has been EXTENSIVELY modded and rebuilt and i think it does around 10 seconds.....
Still CRXs suck!!!!:D Even though they´ll whip my EJ18 NA FWD lame poor old Impreza...

·
Registered
86 Posts
to my knowledge a crx with just a b18c5 or b18c1 will smoke a stock wrx.
No, a civic hb or crx with a stock block b16a or b18c wont beat a stock wrx. Trust me, I use to have one and many friends here in colorado that have one. The civic with b16a or b18c with the t3/t3 hybrid turbo will beat the stock wrx. Now if your talking about a fully modified civic with b16a or b18c motor(blue print and built from bottom up), now thats another story, some of those guys can get it to run low 10's all motor(being built right). What I was talking about was just a stock swap b16a or b18c in a civic hatch back wont beat the stock wrx. Oh yeah, and I ment 2.0 Honda CRV block with the GSR or Type R head. Dont know why I say RAV, wasnt thinking when I wrote that.

Anyways, when I still had my civic hb, I raced it against my friends civic hb with the CRV/GSR swap. I just lost to him by a fender. Once the turbo went in it was another story. Now that I got the WRX, we raced again and yes, he lost big time. He was amazed how bad he got dusted. Now my friends is having a t3/t4 hybrid turbo system put into his civic and once completed. He wants to challenge my WRX. He's having PFI in loveland set it up. I know he'll wax me.... Still waiting for my Turboxs unichip. :confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
10 sec BUG!?!

MMC_555: any pictures of that bug? 10 seconds! WOW:eek:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nope sorry, never seen it in person and the local automotive press is not much good either..... I think there are mags in the us the are solely and exclusively devoted to bugs.... if you browse through one you might find things that´ll surprise you... maybe you´ll find some on the net... I´m geussing though.... I´ll et you know if I do find something....

·
Registered
99 Posts
VallejoWRX said:
Ive had my car for about a week and have broken it in overf then weekend (a short trip to LA should do the trick) ive only been driving stick for a week now and am very anxious for my first vicitm... There is a race crew in town with two CRXs one white and the other yellow, i follow these guys into a parking lot because they were revving like crazy and ask if either of them want to run... the white CRX accepts. We proceed to Turner Pkwy. and i coundown... 3.2.1 launch my launch sucked since i still had to go through turbo lag, but still i pulled pas him in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th but the peice of $hit stayed riight there next to me. maybe its because my skills wiht a stick arent that good yet but damn its a crx... after i asked the guy wtf he has in his car, as i looked closer i noticed his whole interior was gutted and he said "93 GSR man" the damn thing had intake too. we went again and there was a car in front of me so i ahd to brake and considering i have three tickets on my record already (i just turned 17) i decided not to chase his ass down. but its all good just a terrible first experience ! wat do you guys think should of happened and give me some tips on my launch please ?
3 tix when you are 17, I am sorry but you shouldn't ride your dad's car like that. lol. jk.

a B16A on a CRX can be quite fast. Their weight to power is amazing for such a little car. But most of them are not tuned correctly anyways.

You waited for turbo lag, which probably means you didn't rev up before launching the car. Hold the Clutch in, rev the engine to about 2.5k (anything above that might do some serious damage to the transmission.) and slip the clutch. That will reduce the bog and give you the hole shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts