ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 2011 WRX here. I just got my AP in the mail a few days ago and have a few other things coming as well. What a big difference the AP makes, especially with 40 degree weather. I'm worried though that even with this my clutch is not handling it well. I only have ~12,000mi on it so it shouldn't be too worn out, but every time I get on the gas hard I can practically hear my clutch crying. With WOT even up to 3rd gear it seems like something just breaks loose (I know it's not the tires, although that happens too now) because the tach doesn't seem to match what the speedo is doing anymore. As soon as I hit max boost, which is right about 4,200, the engine revs up to 6,000 like its not even under load and I lose acceleration for a split second. Then afterward I can smell the nauseating aroma of roasted clutch. This really sucks. If it won't even handle a stage 1 flash it's going to lay down and die with a stage 2 map, DP and CAI...

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Yeah unfortunately the symptoms you are describing sounds like the clutch is beginning to slip. Start putting money aside now.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That's very low mileage to have to get your clutch replaced. Subaru offers free replacement on clutches and brake pads once under 30k miles, but you need to make sure they don't know you have a tune on there. I've read a few posts/threads where people have had to get their clutches replaced in 2011's but I can't remember why. Subaru covered it under warranty, though some people had to fight the dealer a bit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like clutch time.

You might be able to have the dealer replace it under warranty, but that's kinda hit and miss.

Are you new to driving clutch? Do you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal? Have you done a lot of slipping the clutch off the start? Clutch drops?
Ugh, I suppose I can try to get them to replace it before going out and buying one myself.

To answer your questions: no I'm not new to driving a manual. I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly. I have tried to avoid slipping it too much. Usually when I go fast it's from a downshift on the highway. No clutch drops.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause. Clutch replacements can be expensive. As Mr. Jones said remove the tune, and have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

The dealer is replacing it under a "goodwill" warranty replacement. They told me at the beginning that they had to look to see if it was abuse or if it was defective, and if it was abuse they wouldn't cover it under warranty. They said it looked like there had been possible minor abuse but it was prematurely worn above all. So I think this is somewhere in the middle, because they said they'd do it as long as I gave them a $100 deductible. Smart move on their part. I was already impressed with Subaru to begin with, and this probably just sealed the deal on what my next car is going to be. With their ridiculous labor charges, it would have pretty expensive otherwise.

I consider myself pretty lucky.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Score one for the little guy.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
bbrock171 said:
Update:

The dealer is replacing it under a "goodwill" warranty replacement. They told me at the beginning that they had to look to see if it was abuse or if it was defective, and if it was abuse they wouldn't cover it under warranty. They said it looked like there had been possible minor abuse but it was prematurely worn above all. So I think this is somewhere in the middle, because they said they'd do it as long as I gave them a $100 deductible. Smart move on their part. I was already impressed with Subaru to begin with, and this probably just sealed the deal on what my next car is going to be. With their ridiculous labor charges, it would have pretty expensive otherwise.

I consider myself pretty lucky.
Good deal. You only get one of those, so make sure you've learned your lesson:
bbrock171 said:
I do sometimes catch myself leaving my foot on the clutch while driving, especially dealing with DC traffic and shifting constantly.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Thats scary that you need a clutch and you're only stage 2. But like everyone else said...sounds like a clutch. If you need one, let me know and I can get you a good price on one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just got her back from the dealer today. I put the AEM CAI back on along with my brand new Invidia catless DP and flashed a TP Stage 2+AEM map which by the way is noticeably more aggressive than the Cobb Stage 2+AEM map. Holy crap this thing pulls! I'm officially scared all the way through 1st and 2nd gears now. And you guys were totally right about how the OEM clutch should handle Stage 2 no problem. Slippage is gone, and I've learned my lesson. By the way, found out today that Subaru did NOT honor the warranty, but the dealership took care of me anyway. Phew. That's exactly why I pass right by the dealership that's within walking distance of my house and drive 30min to this one instead.

Oh, I put front and rear shifter bushings on too (those add 15hp right? ;)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Um that's BS that Subaru didn't take care of it but the dealership did. The dealer didn't shell out almost a grand out of pocket (their cost) out of goodwill. Subaru NA took care of this.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but I'm with Scott, I don't think there's any dealership anywhere that would willingly shell out a grand to make a customer happy. SOA soaked up the cost somehow.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of and that the dealership took care of you, but I'm with Scott, I don't think there's any dealership anywhere that would willingly shell out a grand to make a customer happy. SOA soaked up the cost somehow.
If the dealer did eat the cost of it, they probably had an hourly low level tech install it and put your $100 deductible toward shop supplies and paid the hourly techs lower labor rate with it... Usually if the service department has to eat the cost of a repair, it gets deducted from the service manager's incentive which is VERY difficult to get the go ahead on...

Glad to hear it got taken care of though...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Um that's BS that Subaru didn't take care of it but the dealership did. The dealer didn't shell out almost a grand out of pocket (their cost) out of goodwill. Subaru NA took care of this.
You're right, it makes WAY more sense that a dealer would commit both slander AND libel against their own parent company to impress ONE customer who bought ONE car from them...my common sense is vommiting on itself right now. Please excuse the sarcasm.

Believe what you want guys, but the warranty disclaimer I just signed was very clear and specifically says Subaru denied a warranty replacement and that my dealership covered the repair. I'd be happy to scan it for you. Also the service manager explained the process to me about how they send pictures to "Subaru" (I'm guessing SOA?) for review, how "Subaru" denied coverage, and how he made the call to cover it in-house anyway because it was taking them a week to fix my car and I'm a nice guy blah blah etc. May have also helped that I bought my car from them and mentioned I was just about ready to buy another one for the wife.

If SOA did in fact "soak" up the cost somehow they have some real weasely way of doing it, or they just flat out lied.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the dealer did eat the cost of it, they probably had an hourly low level tech install it and put your $100 deductible toward shop supplies and paid the hourly techs lower labor rate with it...
Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's not like they're "shelling out" almost a grand to get this thing fixed. The OEM replacement clutch is around $300. My deductible covers $100. Then the salary they paid the poor bastard who fixed it couldn't have been almost $800 because A) I doubt it actually took them an entire week of labor to replace one clutch in a professional shop with all the right tools and B) As you said if they're not putting their top mechanics on this thing, which there is no reason to, then whoever did it is getting a low hourly rate. I don't know how long it took them, but I did a clutch job in 5hrs with a friend in my driveway before...so let's say we were both in a shop making $25/hr that still only comes out to $250 for 10 man-hours. Add in the $300 clutch and subtract the $100 deductible...$450. These guys didn't eat "almost a grand."

·
Registered
719 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me at all. It's not like they're "shelling out" almost a grand to get this thing fixed. The OEM replacement clutch is around $300. My deductible covers $100. Then the salary they paid the poor bastard who fixed it couldn't have been almost $800 because A) I doubt it actually took them an entire week of labor to replace one clutch in a professional shop with all the right tools and B) As you said if they're not putting their top mechanics on this thing, which there is no reason to, then whoever did it is getting a low hourly rate. I don't know how long it took them, but I did a clutch job in 5hrs with a friend in my driveway before...so let's say we were both in a shop making $25/hr that still only comes out to $250 for 10 man-hours. Add in the $300 clutch and subtract the $100 deductible...$450. These guys didn't eat "almost a grand."
where in NoVa are you located? Which dealership did you go to? I grew up in Ashburn Va, went to BRHS then UofMD :)

i had a similar situation. I didn't have to pay a deductible though. I have never heard of that. I bought my car with something like 300 miles or 900 miles on it. I forget now. Anyways, 300 miles later at a light i hit the gas and it just rev'd like crazy and was really slow to accelerating.

I took it in and told them, i dont care what kind of car it is. There is no reason a clutch should go that fast. No reason at all. i even admitted to them that i had hard launched it once or twice and It was replaced under warranty. There were signs of abuse but mine had some level of factory fault in it. I forget the whole story, and now that I have rambled this long with what i feel like no addition to this thread i must now apologize to all of you for wasting your time. hahaha.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
When you consider what they COULD have charged you for the labor and parts, they did lose out on a grand if not more. It doesn't matter what it end up costing them, it's what they COULD have made on the deal. Last I checked the hourly rate at the dealership here is over $100/hr, I believe $125/hr. A clutch is typically about a 6 hour job, that's $750 in labor alone. Parts at $300 = $1050. I've seen quotes as high as $1300. Again, I'm glad you got it taken care of, and cool that they covered it for you, but you have to understand this is by no means a normal thing for a dealership to do.

You'll have to excuse the rest of us who have been in this game for a while, experienced the bull**** you have to deal with at a dealership for questioning what happened with you. It's by no means normal, anywhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts