ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have the new 2011 subura wrx (hatchback) and i love her.. I am making my first engine mod and thought it would be a good idea to add in an Intake. I know that i want a cold air but not sure what kind.. Anyone have any good suggestions? any advice will help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've heard that newer WRX's respond reasonably to intakes, but to be honest, it's probably still not worth it. You won't get the full benefits without a tune, and just about every wrx until lately just really doesn't like intakes. Look into getting a tune, or even just something like a cobb accessport. Even a stage 1 cobb map (which you don't need any mods for) will increase driveability, power, torque, and potentially fuel mileage. However, I'm not very familiar with newer models, and there are people here who know much more than I, who will not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong. However, I honestly think that a stage 1 tune would leave you pretty content- the changes are reportedly fairly significant.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I have heard the aem intake are what should be used with the 2011's. IF you get an intake you MUST tune the car as well. You cannot have one without the other, unless you want to have problems with the car. And if you tune your car, the dealership has the right to deny claims for warranty work...

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
To further clarify, his car will not blow up and you should notice an increase in power...but it may not be as much if you had a tune. This whole MUST thing is like giving off a panic meter to people.

·
Registered
650 Posts
^ agree and CAI and hydrolock. People think if it rains they can't drive it and don't understand.
Haha the hydrolock always makes me laugh too.

In general, I'd say it's "safer" to do the CAI (I have the AEM and love it) with a Stage I tune, and i'm all about being safe with a brand new $25k+ car, even if it does cost an extra $600

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'v owned enough import over the last 10 years and never had 1 issue with a CAI. on my Nissan I took the fog-light off for 4 years and the CAI was exposed, never had 1 issue with the Ohio weather and it was a 365, daily driver. I'm KS now and same thing I won't worry. I'm more Likely to get in a wreck then Hydrolock

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I'v owned enough import over the last 10 years and never had 1 issue with a CAI. on my Nissan I took the fog-light off for 4 years and the CAI was exposed, never had 1 issue with the Ohio weather and it was a 365, daily driver. I'm KS now and same thing I won't worry. I'm more Likely to get in a wreck then Hydrolock
Trust me, I'm not saying that CAI are bad or anything. Its just when someone says something is "safer" or "better", I like to ask why they think something is greater than the other option. Thats all. I agree with you on the Hydrolocking thing as well.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
To further clarify, his car will not blow up and you should notice an increase in power...but it may not be as much if you had a tune. This whole MUST thing is like giving off a panic meter to people.
I would clarify that a little, replacing the stock system with with an aftermarket intake of the same diameter is OK to run without a tune, although not really recommended either.

·
6,501 Posts
The problem here is there is alot of generalized information being posted. So I can just buy any old intake and every thing will be fine? Like maybe one of Ebay or one of those 3" Spectre ones from Autozone? No. Like mentioned earlier the ID of the MAF housing and possible turbulence created can cause an issue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think he's refering to the fact that it's safer to tune with the intake, not that the CAI is the safer intake, although I could be wrong.
That is exactly what I meant. Sorry for not being more clear folks.

Cobb has been tuning subarus for years, and they feel the need to make special maps for cold air intakes. I would feel a lot safer running one of those maps with my Cai than using the stock tunr and hoping everything works out to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The problem here is there is alot of generalized information being posted. So I can just buy any old intake and every thing will be fine? Like maybe one of Ebay or one of those 3" Spectre ones from Autozone? No. Like mentioned earlier the ID of the MAF housing and possible turbulence created can cause an issue.
Could create is correct, But Perrin and AEM are the only 2 the I have seen for 2011's that specifically state they test and create the CAI for stock "tune" cars. I have heard Alot of people don't like Oiled filter and I have yet to see anyone running a CAI without a tune. If anyone is I would Like to hear from them on how long they been using it etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts