ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put DIY Ikea mudflaps on my car. The front flaps don't stick out far enough and when going down a gravel path the other day I heard a ding, when I got home I looked and there had been a tiny scuff mark from gravel right on the passenger door on that protective coated part. It had really jus tore a bit of that clear coating and isn't ver noticeable at all. but I want to extend my mudflaps out now. They are bolted on by 2 bolts, 1 about an inch and a half ontop of the other one. so I was thinking if I unbolt the bottom one, I can swing the flap out more, then get like a 1 inch stainless steel bracket that I can bolt in the bottom hole and superglue to the back of the flap. I would bolt the flap to the other side of the bracket, but I don't want a big bolt sticking out on the outside. I was thinking about using SuperGlue as I've read online its water-proof.

Any help would be great, thank you.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
HDPE is not something that is very glueable. We use it at work for a variety of purposes and applications and always use a mechanical fastener. You can plastic weld it with some success but that doesn't help you here. There are some pretty badass aerospace and automotive panel adhesives that would probably work, but they are cost prohibitive at 2-3 times a set of Rally Armor flaps.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about using a rivet of some sort or something, but that seems like an expensive route too. Maybe ill cut a slit in the flap, and stick the bracket through it and melt it or something like that.I have an extra piece of the flap from when I cut it to shape, so I can make a sandwich of the flap plastic, then melt the bracket in-between the 2 plastic pieces too, but that mite look like crap as well

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I could just buy those, but I want to have the feeling of accomplishing the work myself. I would also like to mod them and change them for my exact needs as time goes on.
Yeah I know that all too well. I did TONS of homemade projects on my first Acura Integra I had when I was 17. And a lot came out really awesome as well. I just kinda thought it was funny that as you were embarking on your project, here was someone else selling them. Totally random. Goodluck!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, Doesn't seem like too bad of an idea to sell them, but you need to have a plan set and it would probably be more efficient then I was. my flaps cost me 4 dollars, and the bolts, nuts, washers, etc costed me about 15, so I only paid 6 bucks less then he charges. I appreciate the help though.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
2. I don't plan on selling the car. I'm keeping it until I turn it into a track car/hobby car.
Best of luck with that. I had similar aspirations with other cars, but life has a way of altering priorities over the years. Still, it's a nice goal.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best of luck with that. I had similar aspirations with other cars, but life has a way of altering priorities over the years. Still, it's a nice goal.
Yes, it sure does. I'm hoping to go into a career in automotive so it will be my little 'work' project. I'm planning on in 4-5 years getting a base model 1500 or f-150, and use that as my DD/track car hauler haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts