ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

so looking to start my build on my 02 WRX while it’s in storage. Looking to be around the 300whp Mark when all finished up.

option 1. Keep the stock motor (90k miles on it currently), get it built it withstand the power I’m looking to reach. Yes of course I’ll be doing the six speed swap.

option 2. Ej207 swap, six speed swap again obviously.
Not sure which would be the better option.
The car will see a decent amount of track time when finished.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,401 Posts
I think if you price everything out, it might be cheaper to buy a hawkeye STi and put a bugeye nose on it at this point.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if you price everything out, it might be cheaper to buy a hawkeye STi and put a bugeye nose on it at this point.
I’ve already put a lot of money into the car. Started the WRC S7 body kit already. Suspension, performance parts, interior work. All that’s left is the engine / transmission. I’ll be doing the swap myself, it would be anywhere from 7k-10k depending what I can find... a lower mileage Hawkeye STI would probably be 15k-20k in my area.

·
10,511 Posts
In general I'm not into the jdm motor thing. It's usually a crapshoot on engine quality and the older the platforms get the worse it is. To the point that my local shop will only work with JDM engines from their supplier and only in very choice situations.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In general I'm not into the jdm motor thing. It's usually a crapshoot on engine quality and the older the platforms get the worse it is. To the point that my local shop will only work with JDM engines from their supplier and only in very choice situations.
yea I’ve been told many different things, a lot of people say just to keep the motor I have and build it, since I’m only looking to be around 300whp. I agree I hate motor swaps it’s just a big headache most of the time and things will never work the same as they normally would especially like you said with JDM stuff. Ya think the 02 motor built is the way to go.

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
I think that's a lot of money to spend on a fully depreciated platform.

Your call, but maybe just mod it how you see fit and when it fails, walk away? If this is a project car, is there any harm in this?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that's a lot of money to spend on a fully depreciated platform.

Your call, but maybe just mod it how you see fit and when it fails, walk away? If this is a project car, is there any harm in this?
Haha no, no harm. Just ya know like to usually do things right the first go around so I’m not dumping money into something that’ll fail.

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
Haha no, no harm. Just ya know like to usually do things right the first go around so I’m not dumping money into something that’ll fail.
You have no guarantee of that. The lifetime of built motors, in general, is less than that of OEM motors.

Depending on the internals used, the lifetime of a built motor will be anywhere from 40,000 miles to 80,000 miles. Sometimes more if you are lucky.

Reactions: RiiWRX

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have no guarantee of that. The lifetime of built motors, in general, is less than that of OEM motors.

Depending on the internals used, the lifetime of a built motor will be anywhere from 40,000 miles to 80,000 miles. Sometimes more if you are lucky.
Yup, completely understand it’ll never be the same as the original motor. That’s why I was just considering doing the JDM ej207 since it has forged pistons from the factory.

·
Æternum
15,165 Posts
Yup, completely understand it’ll never be the same as the original motor. That’s why I was just considering doing the JDM ej207 since it has forged pistons from the factory.
The forged piston part is unimportant for your goals.

EJ207 is an attractive swap, but brings with it other concerns. A lot of the engines that come from Japan have very opaque history. You won't know the condition or the service history and most are purchased sight-unseen. It's a crapshoot.

All of this doesn't matter as much as the 6 speed swap which will undoubtedly be the most expensive part of your "build." You really might just consider purchasing an STi that is ready to go with what you want. Less headache, hassle, and quite probably less expense at the end.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you're only looking at 300 whp, and are already considering the swap as a replacement, why not build the current motor to 300? Mod it the right way and don't abuse it. If it blows up, you'd already considered buying a new motor, anyway. Or, is 300 whp on the stock motor completely unrealistic with this platform?

I feel like if the Sentra Spec V garbage QR platform could do it reliably, maybe the WRX platform can, so it's only speculative for me.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,401 Posts
300HP is nearly twice the output to the wheels of the original car when it was brand new.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're only looking at 300 whp, and are already considering the swap as a replacement, why not build the current motor to 300? Mod it the right way and don't abuse it. If it blows up, you'd already considered buying a new motor, anyway. Or, is 300 whp on the stock motor completely unrealistic with this platform?

I feel like if the Sentra Spec V garbage QR platform could do it reliably, maybe the WRX platform can, so it's only speculative for me.
That was my original plan. I’ve been told by many people and Subaru specialty shops that my motor can definitely hold 300whp with a few upgrades. On the other hand others have told me to do the ej207 swap because it’s supposedly more reliable. From what I’ve heard building my motor seems like the best option for now... if it goes ka boom oh well I’ll swap in a new. At the end of the day IT IS a project car.

Then obviously the main concern with that power is the the 5 speed, so id definitely do the swap for that.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
300HP is nearly twice the output to the wheels of the original car when it was brand new.
Yes very true. With a built motor done properly it can be done and hold that power. Again even a stock motor can blow. I’m modding the car so it’s always a thought it can happen at any given time. That’s why I have money set aside if that would end up happening.

Most likely would start some where in the 225-250 range see how the car handles that for a while, and how I like that set up track wise. If I feel the need to get more out if it I will, again with knowing it could blow at any given time....

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI. I have a 2002 WRX Wagon with 87,000 miles on it. I just finished some mods and had it tuned.
The shop used a Mustang MD-AWD-150 dyno.
Parts were:
STI up pipe.
Stromung axle back dual tip muffler
Process West intercooler.
JDM V7 hood scoop.
565cc injectors and STI fuel pump
JDM bypass valve
GrimmSpeed 3 port boost control solenoid
Samco turbo inlet
Stock TD-04 turbo, down pipe and intake
I kept the stock turbo because this is a daily driver and not driven in competition, so I wanted minimum turbo lag.
I told the tuner that I was more interested in a broad power band than in peak horsepower.
I ended up with 245 whp.

The car is extremely quick with no noticeable lag and is perfect for driving in traffic and on the freeway.

Hope this gives you some insight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I kept the stock turbo because this is a daily driver and not driven in competition, so I wanted minimum turbo lag.
I also wanted boost to come in early. I considered a VF 43 turbo but boost would have come in around 800 RPM later.
You're going with a six speed which has a lower first gear than the five speed besides being stronger. The VF43 might get you the 300 HP you want along with a after market down pipe and the changes I made. You really should talk to a good tuner in your area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts