ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having a problem with my rear windshield and I'm quite unsure if this is normal or not. It looks like condensation between the glass? Don't know if that's even possible?

These are the things I tried. I tried cleaning both the inside and outside of it and then I also tried turning on the rear defroster along with setting the temperature of the entire car to about 75 degrees for about 5 - 8 minutes. Neither of them worked.

Few things about my car. Bought it September 19th of this year and it is a WRX 2011.

I just noticed this weird thing today (aug 7th). If there's anything else you guys need to know please just say. As you can see I just got this car and I want to take care of it as best as I can.

View attachment 99823 View attachment 99824

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
I've seen that sort of thing before but don't know what causes it, sorry.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
It's perfectly normal. That's the polarizing part of the glass. If you wear polarized sunglasses it shows up really well. Sometimes you'll see it in certain lights without sunglasses too, as your camera shows here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does this mean it will go away on its own? Is this going to cause future problems or should I just go with yamaha_rider619 and take it to the dealer?

Like I said I was about to today but got caught in major traffic that by the time I would of reached, they were going to close.

Did some researching and found this link on a mazda forum board. http://www.pushback.com/Wattenburg/FAQ/tempered-glass.html
So it seems like something I shouldn't worry about. I will take a good long look at my car tomorrow and report back to see if I can still see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does this mean it will go away on its own? Is this going to cause future problems or should I just go with yamaha_rider619 and take it to the dealer?

Like I said I was about to today but got caught in major traffic that by the time I would of reached, they were going to close.
From what I know, polarization never goes away. If you take it to your dealer they will tell you there's nothing wrong with it. all polarization is a protection from UV rays. So there is nothing bad about it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
It will be like that forever and will never change. There's absolutely nothing that can be done about it.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I was told way back that this was polarization as well and always believed it.

Turns out it is from tempering the glass and auto glass is not polarized. You can see it better when wearing polarized glasses though which I previously thought indicated it was also due to polarization. I'm not sure if the pattern is multiple conjoined "Maltese crosses" that result from proper tempering, or if it is improper tempering that causes it. It is not going to go away and all cars have it to some degree.

Here is a polarized "stress tester" that shows a single Maltese cross in a properly tempered lense:

"Handy pocket-sized stress tester is used to check stress patterns in liquid crystals, plastics and gemstones. Shows fracture marks and flaws not visible with the naked eye or many magnifiers. Useful in check the hardness formation of lenses. Brings out Maltese Cross pattern visible only in properly hardened lenses."

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well an update on the situation. Its gone :p .. so I guess it has to do with all this stuff ppl are talking about above.

Thanks for the help guys .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts