ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering of making a big change in a few years and moving out west. I would like to move to Chandler AZ or somewhere close to there. For any of you guys out there or who have lived there can you give me some good/bad or any info regarding living in AZ.

I did notice the housing market is much cheaper out there then what I am seeing here, a lot cheaper so thats a plus. Here are a few things I would like some more insight on.

- How are the roads out there? Here they pretty much suck.
- Sales tax, From what I have seen online its not the same across the whole state, is that how it works or was it just a bad site?
- Cost of living, what are jobs like out there as far as whats avaiable and the avg medium salary
- Do people drag race year round there or is it only during the winter months like in FL or with no humidity in AZ are you able to year round?
- Crime?
- How often do you have to register your car and how strict are state inspections, are they yearly?
- And anything else you can think of would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I live in Scottsdale which is about 20-30 mins away from Chandler. I have taken frequent trips there though. Basically, the roads are in really good condition in most parts of the valley. Theres no snow or salt or rain or any extreme weather that causes damage to the roads.
Sales tax is not the same throughout the state.. All i know is that in Phoenix, it is more than in scottsdale.
Crime isn't really in issue in Scottsdale, and i can't imagine it is in chandler. Chandler is a pretty nice area.
My registration is 2 years and I think you only have to get emissions every 2 years as well.. All they do is stick a plug into your OBD II and visually inspect for cats/mufflers.
Only other thing I can think of is it's really hot.. Especially now, I dont care what people say about it being a dry heat and all, 115 degrees is still 115 degrees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm fairly new to the valley (moved here last Sep), so take my input for what it's worth. I'm in Goodyear, which is the West side of town, though I go to the East side a fair amount since most of the good car shops are on around Chandler.

- Roads are about as good as anywhere in the US. I moved all over the country with the military and, as a whole, you can't beat the roads here.
- Sales tax is adjusted depending on which city you're in. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the state charges sales tax, then each county and city have the option to charge additional sales tax. 9%+ is the norm.
- I'd suggest you do your own comparison search on jobs here. Really depends on your skill-set. One thing I didn't realize until I moved here is electricity is expensive, especially in the summer running your A/C all the time. Moved here from FL and our electric bill doubled.
- There is racing all year round, though you may have to go a couple hours up to flagstaff in the summer.
- The valley is very checkerboard with crime. Some very nice areas next to some very sketchy ones. Gated communities are common car theft is above average. That said, I don't worry about my wife going for runs in our neighborhood in the mornings.
- Registration is either 1 or 2 years and is fairly expensive. Emissions inspections are every 2 years, but only after your car is 5 years old.
- jrcoyotes21 is right. It is HOT here, but coming from FL, I'd rather 115 with 15% humidity than 95 with 90% humidity. The dry air also means dust storms, but it's not as brown as I expected.
- This might irritate some of the Arizonans on here, but but the culture here is a lot like a more conservative CA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts