ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for some ideas on how to nicely finish off this area where I have the switches controlling the lighting in my car. I want it to look just like this... only with something that looks nicer than the cardboard, lol. I have to be able to put those switches through it though. If any one has any ideas feel free to spill 'em. Here's a few pics... thanks for any input.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mach V makes carbon fiber sheets? How do I get it to fit perfectly in this cut out, do I cut/shape the carbon fiber myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
you could do it up easy in fiberglass and then color match the paint to your trim.. you could even make it so that it sits flush with the trim around it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brcewane said:
you could do it up easy in fiberglass and then color match the paint to your trim.. you could even make it so that it sits flush with the trim around it
I've never used fiberglass... don't know where to get it, how to work with it, or how to color it. It shouldn't be hard to shape the piece... I'd just make measurements, stencil an outline, and then cut out the piece (right?) but the piece has to be curved, slightly concave, to fit this area flushly (see the artistic fold in the cardboard to match the curve lol). That seems like it'd be the tough part. And how would I color it?

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hamz01 said:
I've never used fiberglass... don't know where to get it, how to work with it, or how to color it. It shouldn't be hard to shape the piece... I'd just make measurements, stencil an outline, and then cut out the piece (right?) but the piece has to be curved, slightly concave, to fit this area flushly (see the artistic fold in the cardboard to match the curve lol). That seems like it'd be the tough part. And how would I color it?

Thanks for the responses.
Go to your local autozone or hardware store and pick up some fibergalss mat and some fiberglass resin/hardener.

Cut a pice of the fiberglass matt to be a little bit larger than your cardboard that you have there.. soak the mat in resin/hardener and then wrap it over your cardboard to get the shape you want.

Let it set up and harden, then add some more layers to get to your desired thickness. Then cut out your 3 holes and make sure everything fits right, sand it down and then paint it.

Remeber if you do this be sure to wear rubber gloves, eye protectiong and a good canister air mask. Also make sure you have the air mask and eye protection on when sanding.

Also pick up some UV activated Bondo while you are there to help smooth out the fiberglass and fill in any holes that you find.. it basically goes on like putty, it will save you a lot of sanding time.

Once you do the fiberglass once you will see how easy it is and start fabricating other parts. Plus it is cheap if you screw up :wiggles:

Have fun

P.S. get your self a cheap little palm sander while you are at it, it will save your fingers

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the lights are quite bright, but they aren't distracting while driving surprisingly. The car really has a lot of green going on, especially with the floor neons, too (pics here). I don't know if I like the configuration now though... I'm thinking of ditching the lights in the compartment under the head unit (cuz the head already has green lighting) and making the illumination of the switches better... right now theres just a tiny LED sitting there that shoots a narrow beem upward and looks like im spotlighting the air conditioning control, lol. I'll keep posting pics.

P.S. here's how I originally had it set up. I'm going to go back to a set up along these lines but hide the lights by the switches so I have a nice glow there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, switched up my lighting scheme one last time. Now I've got it exactly how I want it: an LED in each vent, two LEDs in the compartment below the head unit, and two bulbs illuminating the switch area. Here are two pics:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the same pic but without the camera on flash. The pic makes it look worse than it is... there's no painful glares or anything.. but at least the pic will give you an idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
hamz01 said:
Yes, the lights are quite bright, but they aren't distracting while driving surprisingly. The car really has a lot of green going on, especially with the floor neons, too (pics here). I don't know if I like the configuration now though... I'm thinking of ditching the lights in the compartment under the head unit (cuz the head already has green lighting) and making the illumination of the switches better... right now theres just a tiny LED sitting there that shoots a narrow beem upward and looks like im spotlighting the air conditioning control, lol. I'll keep posting pics.

P.S. here's how I originally had it set up. I'm going to go back to a set up along these lines but hide the lights by the switches so I have a nice glow there.
Yeah, I remember seeing when you first posted those pictures. You did one of the cleanest neon installs I've ever seen lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
iMP|2EZiONS said:
Yeah, I remember seeing when you first posted those pictures. You did one of the cleanest neon installs I've ever seen lol.
Thanks a lot man, I try real hard to keep it all clean and neat. To me, that can make the different between nice and rice. I prefer not to be the latter, though some would say I am anyway lol but I don't mind :D .

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My friend and I built a clear panel to hold the switches, and I've got all my lights set up the way I want them. I'll take some pics tonight and post them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts