ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm a new WRX owner, took ownership of an '05 last week from the dealer. When I picked up the car I noticed (and pointed out to the salesman) a chip on the top of the hood. He notes it and says that they will have one of their guys try and fix it, and if he can't fix it they would go from there. I take the car, and set up a time to bring it back for the repair. So this morning the recon guy at the dealership washed the car, tried to fix the chip and it looked terrible. I pointed the repair job to another salesman (the guy that sold the car wasn't in yet) and he agrees that it's not acceptable but that I should call back when my salesman is in.

I drive the car to work, and as I get out I start to notice nasty swirl marks all over the car. There is literally not a square inch of the car now that is not covered in swirl marks, obviously from the recon guy washing and drying the car.

I know that this is bound to happen eventually, but 1) The car is a week old, and 2) The damage was caused by the dealership. I'm ripped right now, but I have to wait to call back because the manager's not in today and my salesman isn't in until 1:00. What should I do? I know that they will try and repair the damage, but I don't have confidence that they will fix the damage to my satisfaction.

Needless to say, I'm ripped about this. Any constructive advice? Can I demand a replacement vehicle? Should I? The car is literally 1 week old with 300 miles on it now. I wouldn't care as much if the car were 2 years old, but I haven't even had a chance to wax it yet.

Help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To answer your question, yes this is my first subaru. And yes, I knew going into it that the paint has issues and that it was going to happen eventually. But am I supposed to accept it when the damage is caused by the dealership when that car is barely a week old?

My big heartburn (as I stated above) is that the car is only a week old, and that the damage was caused by the dealership.

·
539 Posts
AdmiralWRX said:
To answer your question, yes this is my first subaru. And yes, I knew going into it that the paint has issues and that it was going to happen eventually. But am I supposed to accept it when the damage is caused by the dealership when that car is barely a week old?

My big heartburn (as I stated above) is that the car is only a week old, and that the damage was caused by the dealership.
It's not an 'eventually' kind of thing and it's not really damage. It was probably swirly from the factory. They're pretty much all like that. That's why I asked. You can walk into a dealer and look at the swirls on the indoor car.

The clearcoat sux that much. ;)

--kC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KC1 said:
It's not an 'eventually' kind of thing and it's not really damage. It was probably swirly from the factory. They're pretty much all like that. That's why I asked. You can walk into a dealer and look at the swirls on the indoor car.

The clearcoat sux that much. ;)

--kC
It wasn't swirly from the factory. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
does your dealership have a paint and body division? if it doesnt i would make them take it to another dealership. if it does make sure paint and body wash and wax it not some lowlevel putz who doesnt care about you let alone your finish :unhappy: ( shoot he probably went through the car lookin for change). ;) i hate dealerships all the way around. i probly wont own another new suby again just cause of stuff like this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
AdmiralWRX said:

The paint on my '05 was fine, I don't buy the whole "crappy paint from the factory so you just have to deal with it" routine, either. You have a very legitimate gripe here and it should (and will) be addressed asap. You have the perfect right to expect your new car to be delivered without scratches, interior rips/stains, mechanical problems, etc. Find out who owns the dealership and either call him/her directly or write a firm but respectful letter. You have a lot of options here- PM me if you want. I'm pretty good with these things.

·
539 Posts
AdmiralWRX said:
It wasn't swirly from the factory. Thanks for your help.
Okey doke. My Baja is only my 8th Subaru. Mid 90's their paint quality started falling off. In '98 when the RSs were introduced is when we started seeing the worst of it.

But hey... good luck. Hope you get it remedied.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I will say thats TOTAL BS.

I would be Rip Shot.

Id go in and tell them to correct the problem. If they cant (as in they physically cant after trying) I would bring someother things into the picture that would be beneficial to you, and wouldnt be the end of the world to them (like some Subaru parts, guage, or some free scheduled maintenance).

If you dont get the answer you like, companies are set up for you to win... Whenever you get an answer you dont like, ask to move up the chain Salesman<salesmanager<manager<owner.

And if in the end that fails, Id first threaten to get my lawer, or if that doesnt work, get a lawer and have them write the dealership a letter threatening to sue. When they look at the cost of the alternatives to fighting you in court they will probably come back with some good offer. You just shelled out 25ish K and you have legitimate concerns.

If that doesnt work, take them to court and get em for everything you can. I hate frivilous lawsuits soooooooo much... but theres a time and a place and if they dont come up with somehting GOOD to fix this problem they deserve whatever they get.

Stay strong, and dont forget what power you have with the internet too. When i have terrible experiences with people, I let them have it. Especially when people piss me off and put me on hold... I go to the internet and fill out on EVERY Forum I can exactly what happened. When I buy something I read others posts (if they are of course coherent and legit). Ive done this twice and it at least makes me feel better.

What dealership?

·
Registered
244 Posts
In addition. I wouldnt buy the "Subaru Paint is Crap" argument either. Or at the very least I wouldnt bring it up. If they sold you the car, you have reason to assume the paint isnt total crap, and if they didnt tell you you have a better claim in court. If they did tell you you are SOL, but ill bet 10 twinkies they didnt say anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KC1 said:
Okey doke. My Baja is only my 8th Subaru. Mid 90's their paint quality started falling off. In '98 when the RSs were introduced is when we started seeing the worst of it.

But hey... good luck. Hope you get it remedied.
I'm not trying to imply that you don't know what you're talking about. You obviously know a lot about Subarus, and I'm not arguing that the Subaru paint isn't crap. It seems to be widely accepted, my brother owns Subarus and has told me the same thing. I believe you, the paint is crap.

However, you telling me that wasn't addressing the original question. Yes, the paint sucks. However, the paint was fine when I took delivery (with the exception of the chip), but after some shmoe at the dealership decided to towel-dry my week old car, there are swirls in the finish. Is that because the paint/finish is substandard? You bet. Should I just smile and accept the fact that the dealership accelerated the appearance of swirls because the paint is crap? My feeling, and the consensus so far, is that I shouldn't. That's the point of my original post.

Next time, take a deep breath and try not to be so defensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: I went back and talked to the sales manager. He agreed to send the car out to have the chip repaired by an auto body shop, and he also agreed that the swirls were their fault and that they would fix those as well (total buff and polish of the car).

Thanks for the support. I'll post any other updates, the car goes in next Thursday.

The dealership is Subaru of Milford (NH), by the way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have heard nothing bad about subaru of milford.

ive been in and talked to them before (I like a traitor bought a saab)...

They are nice guys.

DONT BUY FROM SAAB NASHUA NORTH!!!
(more flaming for googles benefit!)

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey dude
ok did u or did u not sign a release for ur new car stating that the car's appearance both inside and out was NEW, and that they properly installed all the optional parts and misc. accessories on your car that you paid for? if so i hate to tell you this but goodluck getting them to even look at your hood again. after you sign that for your own your own. i hope this isnt the case, but im pretty sure you did or u wouldnt have gotten the car. i feel really bad for you and goodluck with it. :sadwave:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spyderpaint2004 said:
hey dude
ok did u or did u not sign a release for ur new car stating that the car's appearance both inside and out was NEW, and that they properly installed all the optional parts and misc. accessories on your car that you paid for? if so i hate to tell you this but goodluck getting them to even look at your hood again. after you sign that for your own your own. i hope this isnt the case, but im pretty sure you did or u wouldnt have gotten the car. i feel really bad for you and goodluck with it. :sadwave:
Hey Dude,

The only things I signed during the sale were an odometer statement and a sales agreement, neither of which stated anything even close to what you're saying. Not only that, but I pointed out the chip in the hood during my inspection PRIOR to accepting the car and made them note the flaw in the sales paperwork.

In addition I'm scheduled to bring the car back to the dealer on Monday so they can send it out for repair, followed by a buff and polish to remove the swirls. Believe me, a dealership wants to keep it's customers happy, they make 65% of their income on service and a pissed off customer won't come back for service.

Thanks for the info, but you're mistaken. Problem nearly solved, no "goodluck" required.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd hold out and make them pay for a carbon fiber hood for you, it's the least they can do to make it up to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
overwrxed24 said:
I'd hold out and make them pay for a carbon fiber hood for you, it's the least they can do to make it up to you.
Damn! All they offered me was a year's supply of those paper floormats they use when the cars are in for service. Thanks for bursting my bubble :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Resolution:

I brought the car back to the dealership this past Monday, who in turn sent the car out to have the chip on the hood repaired by a paint/body shop. The dealer then buffed out the entire car to remove the swirlies they caused.

I picked up the car this afternoon and it looks great. The guys at Subaru of Milford made good on their promise to "make things right"....they even gave me a free loaner for the 4 days that I was without my rex. Good bunch over there.

Whew, I'm glad that's over. Now onto more important things, like mods :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts