Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow clubwrxers', I need a little help with suspension upgrades, and since I'm not taking a conventional route, I'm having a difficult time getting the info I need on the web. So, here I am. I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

General info: 2014 WRX 5 door, 61K miles, daily driver, spends a lot of time on VT back-roads during all seasons. Stock 17" wheels and tires for summer and 16" wheels/general altimax arctic tires for the winter. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension in a year or so and trying to get as clear a picture of what to get as possible.

Goal:
-Retain stock ride height (or stay VERY close).
-Improve performance on rough tarmac and un-paved ("groomed") public roads. Think mountain roads in New England.
-Reduce the tendency of bottoming out the suspension when hitting rough tarmac/frost heave.
-Reduce body roll. This is secondary to the above. I don't find the body roll to be too excessive, but a slight reduction would be welcome.
-Some degree of adjust-ability is welcome.

Budget: $1500-2000

Looking for: Struts and springs. Perhaps inverted front struts?

Other pertinent info: I will be replacing all stock bushings beforehand, or at the time of installation.

Thanks in advance.

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
Primitive: Wheels, Brakes, Suspension

Call them first though and make sure you tell them you have a daily driver that you want to take on mild gravel. You don't want to end up with a severe gravel setup because it'll be too high and stiff.

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at their site earlier (thanks to google) but noticed they didn't have any struts or springs listed for a 2011-14 WRX.

Yes, definitely do not want any significant lift (or, any at all, really), and certainly not looking for something gravel specific. More of a tarmac setup, since the majority of the roads this car sees (not counting well maintained freeways) are not what I would describe as the ideal roads for a stiff road car.

I certainly do not want the car to be any worse off on well kept roads than it is now.

Are these reasonable expectations?

30,460 Posts
Yes I think they're reasonable. It sounds like you may want higher spring and damping rates but with a spring of the same height, and maybe progressive too. Contact Primitive and RCE directly and state your actual needs to them and see what they say.

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
I've always heard the RCE Yellow with Koni Inserts is a great combo if you're looking for a strut AND spring combo. If you just want springs, you sound like a perfect candidate for the RCE Black "Regular Guy" springs.

30,460 Posts
At least for the earlier cars the Koni cartridges required the McPhersons to be cut on top. I don't know if that's still the case.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts
You do get less jarring hits from bottoming out with RCE Black, however, they are quite firm. I wouldn't say they fit exactly with what OP describes as a goal. I don't know how relevant my experience is to a 2014 though.

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always heard the RCE Yellow with Koni Inserts is a great combo if you're looking for a strut AND spring combo. If you just want springs, you sound like a perfect candidate for the RCE Black "Regular Guy" springs.
Definitely looking for a strut and spring combo. My car is at 61K right now, with the way I drive, I will be pushing 80K this time next year. With the conditions this car sees regularly (salt, snow, gravel, clay, ruts, frost heave and rough pavement) I'm thinking that my struts will probably be on their way out at around 90-100K miles (just basing that off of past experience.) Seems logical to upgrade for both performance and as a measure to prevent failure. Last thing I want is for a strut to fail while I'm 400 miles from home with a kayak strapped to my roof.

I do not (and dont plan to) go offroading with this thing, but this car does see rougher conditions than most of the other WRXs and STIs around here. That's why I'm looking to go a less conventional route.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Definitely looking for a strut and spring combo. My car is at 61K right now, with the way I drive, I will be pushing 80K this time next year. With the conditions this car sees regularly (salt, snow, gravel, clay, ruts, frost heave and rough pavement) I'm thinking that my struts will probably be on their way out at around 90-100K miles (just basing that off of past experience.) Seems logical to upgrade for both performance and as a measure to prevent failure. Last thing I want is for a strut to fail while I'm 400 miles from home with a kayak strapped to my roof.

I do not (and dont plan to) go offroading with this thing, but this car does see rougher conditions than most of the other WRXs and STIs around here. That's why I'm looking to go a less conventional route.
First Koni does not recommend their struts for regular use in rough conditions.

Second, unless things have changed drastically with the stock struts you CAN'T run them with RCE black or yellow springs.

Third, RCE yellow will drop a WRX significantly. RCE blacks say they drop little but that is from a STi ride height. I have them on my '03 WRX and they did drop it a fair bit.

Fourth I think there are good struts offered for the new models that are not inserts like Koni, which as mentioned have to be installed into your cut strut bodies.

I'm not trying to bust on the poster, because RCE blacks with Koni's are awesome for smooth tarmac and what I run. Just don't sound like they are for you at all.

· Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so that's a no on RCE blacks or Koni's with inserts. That's actually the setup a local speed shop was suggesting. I guess my assertion was correct. I watched them install the setup on a car identical to mine (cut strut bodies and all) and while it looked great, I could tell right away that it was not in line with my needs.

They are an EVO shop, though, so makes sense... damn evo guys, lol. Just kidding, they are nice guys.

This is good, keep it coming.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts

· Registered
782 Posts
So, it's been ~9mos... What's the verdict? My struts are definitely on their way out, and I'm interested in a similar setup, so please forgive the resurrection.

After reading this and other threads, I'm leaning toward stock dampers and RCE black springs. I don't mind the 1" drop, even though I'll probably regret saying that later (These Detroit pot holes are downright scary!).

· Registered
782 Posts
Well, FTR I decided to go with OEM struts and RCE Regular Guy Springs, as I'm a regular guy. I wanted the ride similar to original, but a little bit lower. We'll see how it goes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.