ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2002 wrx. Guy selling it is asking $4000 for it. The body looks great, a little hail damage on the hood. It has been in an accident which deployed the airbags. Motor runs fine at high RPMs, but has pretty rough idle. Just wondering if you guys think it would be worth buying and putting a some money into it to bring back to life. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I would want a very detailed report on the accident repairs. What exactly was broken and needed to be fixed. Rough idle at low RPMs could be a lot of things, too, I would want to have the car looked at by a pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I could tell it appeared to just be body damage. But, then again it did deploy both airbags. The owner said he replaced cool packs and plugs. That didn't help, do I'm thinking maybe an o2 sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't running 87 octane in these cars make them horribly?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I would stay away. Airbag deployment means major mechanism collision. To me, that equals frame damage. This isn't a 1950's buick. We have crumple zones on a unibody. More than likely those crumple zones were affected by the collision. It's likely that this vehicle is a salvage title. That means the vehicle was totaled by insurance, and someone is trying to bring it back to life (salvage it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was afraid of... I'm a huge fan of the wrx and was hoping to pick one up at a decent price. You guys think I'd better off just putting some more money and picking one up in good condition? Than taking chances on this one?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I do. The cost of repairs may end up superseding the cost difference between a junker and a decent one.

May I ask why you're in the price range of a 4000 dollar vehicle? Student?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm at entry-level pay right now. Just starting a new job. I own a pickup, 1996 dodge 4x4 that gets around 9 mpg. Trying to get out of it and into something fun to drive. At an affordable price, but looking at subarus they seem to hold their value really well. Unless they have major issues of course.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dappergent said:
I'm at entry-level pay right now. Just starting a new job.
Buy a cheap gas-sipping DD for now. Save money. Then consider a WRX when you have a higher budget; less likelihood of getting in over your head...

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
My opinion is... Look into a 2001 or older 2.5RS. Gas mileage is great, they're sporty and fun, and then when you get to the point where you're not at entry-level pay, then you can look at doing a WRX or STi swap into them.
The cars are lightweight, and with a swap they turn into beasts. There are a lot of sweet track monsters out there that are GC8 2.5RS's.

Insurance is horrid on the WRX, but not bad on an RS. Cost on the RS should be good too, and reliability is going to be better on the RS because some ass hat probably hasn't been driving the heck out of it like they would a WRX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be the most responsible thing to do. Lol. So the consensus is to stay the heck away from the wrx I'm looking at?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dappergent said:
That would be the most responsible thing to do. Lol. So the consensus is to stay the heck away from the wrx I'm looking at?
You don't want to get yourself car broke early in life. Buy something economical now, then focus on something fun when you've got your feet dug in a bit better.

I wouldn't buy a $4K WRX

1 - 12 of 12 Posts