ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was hoping some people could help me out. I am a new subaru owner never owned one before. I just bought a 2004 wrx 2.0t. I bought it for an everyday driver to replace my 97 civic coupe. This car is a bone stock virgin and I need to pop her cherry. I just dont know where to start and was hoping to get some direction. I have about $4k I can invest into some performance mods and I dont know where to start. Exhaust, turbo, brakes, etc.... I have found a set of a/m wheels I like made by Polo t866 dominate. (check em out tell me what you think). I know these are not a light wheel but this is one area I dont mind sacraficing a little bling for loss in power. Want to go with a 18x8. (will it fit?) Other than the wheels I have no idea where to go from here. I am tired of the buzzzzz sound my honda puts off and would like to get a ferrari / 350 sound so any ideas on exhaust would help. I basicaly want to do as much performance upgrades as I can for $4k. Can you give me some imput? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pix so you can see what I'm working with but its the normal all stock blue wrx.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Start with and upipe downpipe and catback (optional but sounds nice) and get some em like cobb ap. The WRx will never sound like a Ferrari. However it will have a nice throaty rumble sound. As long as you don't change the headers it shouldn't be buzzy sounding.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can't find the one sticky with a general idea on how to start modding your car.

But like cavallino said, start with an AP from COBB (or openECU and other engine management), exhaust (turboback), upipe for 04 then the next step for power would be a new turbo (vf29, 18g, 20g) and probably get a new IC like the STI one.

Any corrections are welcome but that would about break that $4k barrier and give you a nice boost in HP.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i agree with the above post, a real nice turbo back exhaust(TBE)(downpipe, and catback) will cost you just under a grand unless your thrifty like me, i got my catback clearanced on ebay for 158 shipped cuz the company just wanted to empty the last of em out of their warehouse, and no its not a cheap made one either. i know that perrins exhausts sound nice, so does hks, i have friends with those. if sound is important to you i suggest you go on youtube and look up wrx ehuat clips, their are tons. as for as engine management(em) as they said above you can get a cobb access port(AP) for around 750 which are easy to use and reliable(a friend has one of those too) but i went the open source route and to go stage 2 em hat way is about 150 and it does the same thing as the AP.

all-in-all i would suggest getting your TBE, cattless up-pipe, k&n drop-in air filter, snorkus delete(search the threads), stage 2 em, then do some suspension work. if you spent a grand on rims, 1000 on suspension, and the rest on what i said you will have a nice chuck to pamper the ladies with in your sweet rex. enjoy.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There are lots of people out there thinking the first mod is to get more Hp out of your car and I'm one of them. Think about it, what happen when you get mad hp and bad handling? Your car will go all over the place right? For 4k dollars, I would start with suspensions and sway bars. I start out going stage 2 on my 2007 and out of money to do suspension right now. My car is doing ok but handling could be better. Just got some lowering spring on lastnite and oh man.,,. i felt the different right away.
I think you should spend half of that money on suspension and half on upgrading your hp. If you're ready to spend lots of money on name brand then COBB is the best.
*To go stage 1 on your 04 wrx you need, Accessport or Opensource tuning, catback exhaust, drop in K&N air filter.
*To go stage 2 on your 04 wrx you need, Accessport or Opensource tuning, DownPipe(make sure you get the same brand dp as your catback cuz i have a matching problem and it's leaking), Uppipe as 04 is catted, drop in K&N air filter, bigger Tmic,"NO BOV", bammmm there you go more hp and good handling.
If you're on stage 2, after driving your car for a couple hundred miles then take it to get it dyno and see where you're at.

Good luck and hope this is not too much

·
Registered
105 Posts
like everyone else said

1> engine management
2> gutted or replacement catless uppipe
3> turbo-back exhaust

from there i'd look at some nice sticky summer tires if you don't already have them. tires are the number 1 thing that can improve handling.

then take your choice on where you want to go next: suspension, brakes (pads, BBK, fluid, stainless lines), more power (bigger TMIC or FMIC, new turbo, fuel system), bling.

some other small things you might want to consider (these are the first things i did) are a short shifter, shifter bushings, and steering rack bushings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts