Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 WRX all stock except for 3" invidia CBE and Cobb AP stage 1 91 octane tune.
Not really sure if this is an issue or not but I have had my AP on for a couple of months now and the DAM has never really stayed at 1. It is really all over the place from .400 to .975 is the highest it will go. I have tried many different gas stations with either 91oct or 93oct and the DAM still fluctuates all over the place. Today I flashed the stage 0 tune for a bit then back to the stage 1 91oct tune and it reset the value to 1 but then fell and hung around.875. Thoughts? Is this an issue or do I need to just take the AP and put it in the glovebox and not worry about it? I have sent cobb datalogs and they don't act like its a big deal and just say try a different gas station. Well I'm running out of gas stations to try. Also not seeing much feedback knock at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
I've heard it fluctuates more on the newer cars. However .4 dam sounds insane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
That seems excessive. I'd check the intake tract for any air leaks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will end up doing that eventually when I go stage 2. But don't really want to do that just yet. Don't putting money into this WRX for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
Yes it causes misfire and the car to pull timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gave the air intake system a look over and everything looked snug. I reflashed the stage 1 tune last night and drove around 40 miles today, DAM hung around 1 then .875 then .750 so still not sure if that reflash did the trick. If i can't figure this out I will just take the AP and unmarry it. If the motor grenades I would rather it do that with the AP uninstalled and on the stock tune so maybe warranty will cover it. I have a feeling this car will pull timing no matter what tune is on it.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
So your profile says you are in Arizona, is that correct? If so you should not be using a map rated for regular fuel. For example you said you are running the stage 1 91 octane map. California, Arizona, and Nevada has a lesser quality fuel than the rest of the united states for emissions reasons. For this, cobb made ACN(Arizona/California/Nevada) maps for their fuel. So there should be a ACN91 stage one map on your accessport for your car. If not, contact cobb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am actually in Arkansas. Cobb did tell me about that ACN tune but I'm not sure if I should try that one or not because I'm in Arkansas and I'm not entirely sure bad fuel is the problem although i hope it is.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Oh wow. I'm an idiot. It says AR, and I saw AZ. My bad! Then I am really not sure what to tell you. The DAM should not be fluctuating that much.

That being said, buy purchasing an accessport from cobb, you also buy cobbs customer support. Send them some datalogs and have them take a look. If they see something that needs to be tweaked, they will correct it and send you a new map.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have sent them a few data logs when I first went with the stage 1 tune but the DAM only went as low as .975 back then, and they said everything looked good. Is it safe to do data logs while the car is pulling timing like that? I have heard its best to stay out of boost if DAM is not at a 1.

Here is a recent email reply I got from Ryan at COBB -

Ryan (COBB Support)
Mar 21, 11:37 AM CDT

It may be due to the fuel quality, you can try resetting the ECU and getting gas from a different station. You may even want to try the ACN 91 map. Typically if the DAM is above 0 it is not a serious knock condition but you ideally want it to be around 1.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I would not go WOT after seeing the DAM drop that significantly. Do you have a reputable shop in your area?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thats exactly what I mean. how am I supposed to safely do data logs with no WOT pulls. And as in a tuning shop? None I'm my area. Although there is a guy there is VERY knowledgable about anything subaru and I have been talking to him a little. I might take him the car and let him look everything over.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone with Ryan from Cobb and I went over everything with him. He said it is fine to do data logs even if the DAM is not at 1. Also he said nothing to worry about and it is probably just bad fuel if i am not getting any feed back knock or fine knock learn, which I don't believe I am. most I have seen is an occasional -1.41 or -2.81, but I believe that is just the sensor picking up road noise or the AC etc. He said if it doesn't come back to 1 then I probably need to do the ACN map. I will give it another week and monitor it closely.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So your profile says you are in Arizona, is that correct? If so you should not be using a map rated for regular fuel. For example you said you are running the stage 1 91 octane map. California, Arizona, and Nevada has a lesser quality fuel than the rest of the united states for emissions reasons. For this, cobb made ACN(Arizona/California/Nevada) maps for their fuel. So there should be a ACN91 stage one map on your accessport for your car. If not, contact cobb.
Where do you find these maps? I don't see them on their web page.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats bc they don't have one for the 2015 + WRX yet. Thats what Ryan just told me (see email below)

Ryan (COBB Support)
Apr 17, 5:17 PM CDT

Hey Will,

I apologize, the Direct Injection WRX does not have a separate ACN map, the 91 octane map is the least aggressive map we have available, or you can use the stage 0 'stock' map.

Not really sure what I need to do at this point. I don't know if its something with the car or the tune or what, but Im thinking of just un-marrying the AP and keeping it 100% stock until the warranty is out. I just don't know enough about this car to be fooling around with it. I can't afford to put a new motor in it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My DAM had been floating between 1 and .500 for a while. I contacted COBB and all they told me to make sure my filter (COBB Big SF) was installed correctly. Any ways I bought a can of Royal Purple Max-Boost Octane Booster and Stabilizer and my DAM has been hanging around 1.00 & .872 now. You should give it a try.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts