ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i've been looking into external wastegates recently and noticed that there is a 44mm EWG and a 38mm EWG.. On JSCSPEED.COM, i noticed that if you want to buy the 44mm EWG, you have to buy the TURBO XS up-pipe thats built for the waste gate and you also have to buy the non bellmouth turboxs catless downpipe built for the wastegate and other fitment issues. Now here is my question, are all the same things need for the 38mm External Waste gate or do you just need the waste gate and the up pipe for the 38mm EWG. Here is my plan, i wanna get a VF39 on my 06 wrx, and an external waste gate with and up pipe built for the waste gate. I already have a helix v3 catted downpipe and i am wondering if i can run that with the vf39 that i'm going to get, and a 38mm EWG and just the up pipe built for it. Please guys i need some info.

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Before you start buying things I would defiantly have a listen to a couple cars with EWG might change your mind and if you do like it awesome. I looked into it but seeing as how it would be my DD it turned me away.

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
You'd want a 38mm Tial. The 44mm IMHO are complete overkill for any turbo that is stock location(include FPRed, DOM3, etc). If you hear anyone say 'don't buy a 38mm, they leak' my azz. Tial used to send paper gaskets with it that were junk but they no longer do that.

In order to run it on the VF39 you'd need to weld(or fab a bracket) the wastegate flapper or arm shut to disable the IWG. An like you know you'd need a uppipe capable of running a EWG.

Pick up a Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe, I've tuned 2 different cars with them, they are very nice for the price. FYI, the Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe clears the TurboXS 4" normal DP, no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just heard a wrx with a EWG an it sounded nice, but as a DD u might get tired of that sound quick.. but i just bought a big 16g turbo an it does have a IWG but was wondering on performance, does it even do that much or is it more sound..

i have a invidia up pipe, and down pipe walbro 255, aps 70mm intake, evo 3 big 16g turbo an plan on gettin that perrin stealth exhaust..

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
As testes said, the 44mm is overkill. 38mm would do what you need it to. I would look at the Grimmspeed EWG kit. I'm not really a fan of the TurboXS one, but I'm not familiar with Precision's.

EDIT: As far as the sound goes, it's only open when you're getting on it. My EWG opens around 15psi, so I can still get on the car as much as I want, staying under 14lbs and it's quiet.

Here's mine on the old 5-spd, the day before it finally let go, to give you an idea.

YouTube - WRX 38mm EWG Pt. 1
YouTube - WRX 38mm EWG Pt. 2

·
Registered
36 Posts
yea but that sux cuz i jus put on my up and down.. its invidia and it isnt made for a EWG.. but really thinking about doin it.. that sound sikk.. my neighbor heard me talkin about this to my friend outside an he was like it kinda sounds like when the vtec kicks in on the honDUHs.. :rotfl:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
STI_KLR said:
You can always have your UP modified. Get an EWG flange and have a reputable shop weld it onto your current UP.
You can modify it, but I wouldn't.

gripbox said:
yea but that sux cuz i jus put on my up and down.. its invidia and it isnt made for a EWG.. but really thinking about doin it.. that sound sikk..
You can get the Grimmspeed 38mm EWG kit for < $500 shipped new.

Take off the Invidia and sell it. If you bought it new, you can probably get $25 less than full price for it.

gripbox said:
i just heard a wrx with a EWG an it sounded nice, but as a DD u might get tired of that sound quick.. but i just bought a big 16g turbo an it does have a IWG but was wondering on performance, does it even do that much or is it more sound..

i have a invidia up pipe, and down pipe walbro 255, aps 70mm intake, evo 3 big 16g turbo an plan on gettin that perrin stealth exhaust..
The EWG will give you more power. What size injectors do you have, and what IDCs are you currently seeing?

An aftermarket BCS/MBC would be useful as well since you'll be getting a custom tune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts