Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza wrx wagon. And I have messed up the engine. I went from 3rd gear to 2nd gesr red lining. I just need help on whether I should get a whole new engine or replacing the block only, because when I start and drive the car there’s really bad knocking sounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Depends on what’s destroyed. Over revving an engine can cause valve float that will allow a piston to hit the valve and damage the piston and head.

Nobody can answer this until you have a necropsy. In a perfect world and if you are lucky you may just need to buy a new short block

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand, well the shop won’t open up the engine unless I’m willing to pay $500 for labor work. But is it easier getting a used complete engine, or start from scratch

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
It completely depends on what happened. If the heads are shot you?ll probably pay less for a used engine of unknown quality over a new shortblock and rebuilt heads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that’s the thing, Im paid my local mechanic quite the money just to diagnose. Not to open up the engine. I’ve been looking for many used engines and it’s very complicating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts