ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help on weather or not to buy... I got him talked way down on the price, this will be my first subaru and first car with boost. I have built many hondas, all of which are n/a and my last build I was able to get 218hp to the wheels on a gsr motor. Anyways, I wanted to know if this car seems like a good buy. Is 18 psi safe on what looks like stock internals? Thanks for any help in this. 02 Subaru WRX. Clean

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
for me, this is an automatic no.

i would never buy a modified subaru. they are very picky when it comes to modifications and if done wrong, it could be a possible headache/disaster.

your best bet is to find a stock, one owner that's up to date on all maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, it seems really nice but it also seems hard to find one around here in my price range haha however I did find an 04 forester xt with 150k on it all maintenance done with records one owner, 5 speed. for the same price, but I feel like the wrx would be faster

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
well the forester & wrx pretty much have the same set ups as far as power/engine/turbo's. i'd assume the forester weighs more though.

either way, throw a turboback exhaust & a tune on the forester and i'm sure it'd be one fun wagon.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
That's way overpriced for a modded WRX with 120K miles. My 2003 with 95K miles is worth less.

but I feel like the wrx would be faster
Wrong. The XT stock can run a 13.4 quarter mile @ 101. That's as fast as a Pro-tuned Stage 2 Bugeye. It's all thanks to the 4.44 F/D, but also makes for a very buzzy highway commute.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
What do you want? It's the most important part...

Do you want an Automatic? (that's a big factor)

$9K is a lot to spend on a car with 150K miles...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both cars are 5 speeds, wrx has 120k and the forester has 150k, both have had the timing belt and water pumps done recently and both say they run great haha Im just not sure which to go with they seem like a lot of fun to drive.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Both cars are 5 speeds, wrx has 120k and the forester has 150k, both have had the timing belt and water pumps done recently and both say they run great haha Im just not sure which to go with they seem like a lot of fun to drive.
Drive both and decide. It's all about personal preference. I love my Bugeye but considered trading for an XT recently because the extra torque and higher-geared F/D would be beneficial for towing my bike.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
We have a guy that swapped STI driveline stuff into a Forester. It was teh gay and he was a douche. I do like the real FXTs though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats F/D? front diff? and ok will do, my plan is to have one of them bought this weekend.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
F/D = Final Drive ratio

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
+1 to driving both the Forester and WRX. I drove an FXT in the mountains when they first came on the scene, and while it handled and drove better than your average small SUV...I still preferred the feel of my 2002 WRX.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
I agree with Ray.

If you're going for the "Pure" sports-car feel, I wouldn't choose either Subaru. However, between the two models (XT vs. WRX), the WRX is undoubtedly the superior choice for handling enthusiasts. The XT, though, may be just slightly more practical with 1.2" more ground clearance and headroom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I'm mainly looking for something that has no problem getting up to speed when I need to, and also great in all weather conditions. I want a nice handling car, not to worried about going fast because any car can be fast with the right amount of money haha. I just dont want to step into a car with a lot of problems, which the wrx with the work done to it might be. Where as the FXT is bone stock nothing done to it original owner.

·
Æternum
20,952 Posts
Where as the FXT is bone stock nothing done to it original owner.
This is key.

The WRX isn't terribly modified, to be honest. The only items that worry me are the MBC (not generally recommended) and coil-over suspension (generally garbage unless dropping $2K+ on a quality set). One BIG thing to keep in mind is that if Indiana has a visual emissions inspection, the WRX will fail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts