Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, should I get:
A. 2012 WRX
B. 2012 WRX STI
C. Used WRX
D. Used WRX STI
Also what are your thoughts on the hatchback?
Money is not a HUGE issue, but like everyone else the best deal I can get the better.
My concern is the new Sti worth 8k more than the wrx or is the new 2012 models not the way I should be going anyway? Would it be a better deal to get a used one instead? If so the sti or the wrx? hatchback or none. Thanks!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What will you be using the car for?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Well in an ideal world I would personally go for a new STI, but my financial world isn't "ideal" by any means, so I do with what I can, as I'm sure 99% of the country does, including yourself.

As EJ said above, we need to know what you will use the car for in order to accurately help you decide. Just throwing a simple "get the best for the money you're able/willing to spend" out at you isn't very helpful.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Sounds like a good bit of "narrowing down" needs to take place before proceeding to the next step. Have you driven the WRX and STI back-to-back to get an idea of the differences? (The general opinion is that the WRX is more of a sporty daily driver, while the STI is more of a "track-ready" vehicle) Have you driven older WRX/STI's? There are changes that have occurred over the years; many here will tell you that an STI from 4-5 years ago is a different animal from the new one.

Tell us what your budget is for the car, and your intended purpose, and we'll recommend something. Then throw all of that out the window and go drive them to see for yourself. :tongue:

Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah what Ray said. You've left out basically every important parameter that would help anybody give you advice, and you haven't said whether you've test driven anything.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Based on the available info, I would get the Subaru.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Buy the used STi/WRX, and let some other poor soul take the hit on a new car. You're going to want to mod the new to you car anyways...why would you mod a new one and void the warrenty? Use the money you saved from buying used to put into mods..win-win.

You gotta know your future plans. I've lost count at the number of WRX owners that mod to the STi level later on. You can NOT build a WRX to STi specs cheaper than you could have boughten a STi from the get-go. If you plan on modding all out, it's dumb to get an STi, since you're just gonna remove the stuff anyways. If you're like me, and don't plan on having a 500hp engine anytime soon, it made more sense to get the STi.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Based on the available info, I would get the Subaru.
hahaha. ^^^

i can say when I went through the process and narrowed it down finally to the WRX or STi discussion (from the 135, MS3, SRT4 etc) to me it came down to the STi was more money than i wanted to spend for so many wonderful features I would never benefit from. The STi is such a monster! However, for the money the WRX in my opinion was the best option for a DD. The only mistake i made then was not really sitting in a hatch. I saw a OBP sedan, and handed him the cash.

As far as used or not, its always been a practice of mine to find a gently used car. Mine had 1000 miles on it. Had leak down, compression, and looked over and bought it. I let someone else drive the depreciation off a bit for me, then save a few thousand. I basically bought a 25K car for 22,500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey guys im new around here and i have a 2004 wrx and i wanna do a jdm swap. Is it true i can hook jdm engine wiring straight to my vehicle wiring and plug my vehicle wiring to jdm ecu ? i heard i can but i need to get a avcs wiring set up from iaperformance.com and just add it to usdm wiring. is this true but i would also have to buy a dccd hook up for trans theres a place dccdpro.com i heard of. was looking at putting in a version 9 spec c swap in and taking out 04 wrx------------ parts motor needs work, heads r good, have a spare short block also so if anybody is lookin for parts along with differential trans and motor accessories such as alternator, water pump, ecu, etc.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
hey guys im new around here and i have a 2004 wrx and i wanna do a jdm swap. Is it true i can hook jdm engine wiring straight to my vehicle wiring and plug my vehicle wiring to jdm ecu ? i heard i can but i need to get a avcs wiring set up from iaperformance.com and just add it to usdm wiring. is this true but i would also have to buy a dccd hook up for trans theres a place dccdpro.com i heard of. was looking at putting in a version 9 spec c swap in and taking out 04 wrx------------ parts motor needs work, heads r good, have a spare short block also so if anybody is lookin for parts along with differential trans and motor accessories such as alternator, water pump, ecu, etc.
Umm...you're jacking someone else's thread. You might want to start your own thread.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts