Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, names Jordan! Im a little new to the whole sti and modification world, just seeking some help for mods after Cobb threw that greenspeed update at us.
I have a 2020 STI, it’s now stage 1+ With ots tune (Cobb AP, Cobb redline intake, and invidia r400 exhaust) I also have some reliability mods done too ( IAG AOS, and cylinder 4 cooling mod). I’ve been riding like that for a good 7 month or so and really itching to do some upgrades and reach that 400 whp - 450whp range while still staying on 93 (since e85 is really far from me and being inconvenient). What are all the parts I should get to reach that mark while maintaining my car as reliable as possible, and that is tunable with AP post greenspeed update?
I also have kartboy short shifter and bushings.
I’d appreciate any feedback/help, and thanks in advance!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The update really didn’t change very much, just limiting alterations to emissions tech like cats, tvg deletes ect
Yea I’ve seen SMEEDIA videos before he’s very helpful, but can I still use all of those products while still being carb compliant. For example what are mods or upgrades I should get to go around all the emissions stuff like tgv deletes etc…?
P. S. I forgot to mention I haven’t installed but I already have a Cobb gessi catted dp just don’t know what else I need to get, to make that 400-450 whp

· Registered
270 Posts
Yea I’ve seen SMEEDIA videos before he’s very helpful, but can I still use all of those products while still being carb compliant. For example what are mods or upgrades I should get to go around all the emissions stuff like tgv deletes etc…?
P. S. I forgot to mention I haven’t installed but I already have a Cobb gessi catted dp just don’t know what else I need to get, to make that 400-450 whp
I don’t think you need to go around it, you can keep the emissions stuff and get somewhere close to the power you are looking for but you will be throwing reliability out the window. These cars are not designed for that type of power.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
Built block for more power and standalone ecu if you insist on removing tgvs. That's if u cn find a shop willing to tune, a big IF.

Just strangers on forums?
In a way yes, strangers on forums have no gain from views or clicks, most are just there out of interest for the platform. Youtubers' livelihood depends on doing something flashy to get views but no repercussions if anyone following their advice blows their engine, a pretty big conflict of interest.

Donut media should be all the evidence anyone needs that most car youtubers are morons or liars or both.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
Cylinder 4 cooling mod.

So you added equal length headers, and piston squirters? No?

This is the danger with social media platforms and vehicle modifications. There is zero proof that mod does anything. The cooling situation is a compound problem and that mod addresses none of the issues.

You need to search around your area for a shop that specializes in Subaru performance. Be prepared that kind of power isn't cheap and isn't reliable. That will take your car from a driver to a garage queen.

· Registered
64 Posts
Didn't Smeedia just do a green speed compliant build? He has so many and keeps changing them all the time I can't keep up but I think the current silver GR with the broken trans (he didn't break it, the swap came that way) is green speed.

If you've truly watched those videos the formula is all there, so if you're here you're looking for second opinions?

Also if you really want to do emissions delete stuff you need to get out of the easy button AP world and go open source. Use an etuner not in the US, there is one I've posted about several times, but I'm not convinced this is anything more than a fishing expedition.

Lastly several Subaru centric YouTubers have roasted the Donut builds....it's kind of a straw man argument. Not all creators are the same just like not all forum posters are.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

15,750 Posts
Didn't Smeedia just do a green speed compliant build? He has so many and keeps changing them all the time I can't keep up but I think the current silver GR with the broken trans (he didn't break it, the swap came that way) is green speed.

If you've truly watched those videos the formula is all there, so if you're here you're looking for second opinions?

Also if you really want to do emissions delete stuff you need to get out of the easy button AP world and go open source. Use an etuner not in the US, there is one I've posted about several times, but I'm not convinced this is anything more than a fishing expedition.

Lastly several Subaru centric YouTubers have roasted the Donut builds....it's kind of a straw man argument. Not all creators are the same just like not all forum posters are.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
The support for open source tuning for the 15 and newer vehicles is poor.

Also, don't use a tuner you can't readily access.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don’t think you need to go around it, you can keep the emissions stuff and get somewhere close to the power you are looking for but you will be throwing reliability out the window. These cars are not designed for that type of power.
I don’t mean delete emissions stuff, I meant since now we can’t do tgv deletes and stuff like that what can I get while still keeping everything. I know that the Cobb nexgen power package fuel lines, and rails can be used with stick tgvs

· Registered
270 Posts
Built block for more power and standalone ecu if you insist on removing tgvs. That's if u cn find a shop willing to tune, a big IF.

In a way yes, strangers on forums have no gain from views or clicks, most are just there out of interest for the platform. Youtubers' livelihood depends on doing something flashy to get views but no repercussions if anyone following their advice blows their engine, a pretty big conflict of interest.

Donut media should be all the evidence anyone needs that most car youtubers are morons or liars or both.
Ok ok good point

· Registered
270 Posts
I don’t mean delete emissions stuff, I meant since now we can’t do tgv deletes and stuff like that what can I get while still keeping everything. I know that the Cobb nexgen power package fuel lines, and rails can be used with stick tgvs
Like the advice says above, if you’re serious about doing it, find a tuner in your area and ask for their advice. then call another tuner and ask for their advice as well. I have two price quotes for building my motor and it turns out they’re fairly similar in price and parts lists.

· Registered
2021 WRX
809 Posts
I’m just saying a stranger is a stranger. I’ve read bad advice on forums before, theres no vetting process to give advice here
True, there's plenty of bad advice on forums and reddit. But without conflict of interest, it's much less as a %age than youtube. Either way it should be a starting point to read more, not follow either advice straightaway.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
I'm still a bit baffled on the Cylinder 4 Cooling Mod.

It appeared out of nowhere with little to no data to support any advantage that it supposedly provides. I've read through similar rabbit holes on NASIOC and iWSTI. I'm unable to determine where it started. Color me curious but I want to know dammit.

For the record - I'm not saying it doesn't do anything, but like the 5MT "blast plates," people make very bold unscientific claims about supposed benefits. I'm a trained scientist - I'm skeptical until I see a well-vetted argument with supporting data.

Reactions: clt-wrx

15,750 Posts
I'm still a bit baffled on the Cylinder 4 Cooling Mod.

It appeared out of nowhere with little to no data to support any advantage that it supposedly provides. I've read through similar rabbit holes on NASIOC and iWSTI. I'm unable to determine where it started. Color me curious but I want to know dammit.

For the record - I'm not saying it doesn't do anything, but like the 5MT "blast plates," people make very bold unscientific claims about supposed benefits. I'm a trained scientist - I'm skeptical until I see a well-vetted argument with supporting data.
I'm an untrained cretin and it doesn't make sense to me. I understand the hypothesis behind it but compound issues like that are rarely if ever solved by an unrelated patch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts