Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was hoping someone might be able to give me advise on exchanging my ecu. i just bought the prodrive chip upgrade but the new ecu doesn't seem to work in the car. do i need to do anything besides plugging in the new ecu. thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is the unit for the UK car ? If so make sure it is compatible with the US spec WRX. Call prodrive and get some tech help.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Please don't multiple post the same question in different forums.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I checked out www.totalsubaruperformance.com
It looked a little shady, like just another internet business trying to cash in on the WRX aftermarket. What's with all of the n/a's all over the place?

If I were you, I would return the Prodrive ECU and get a Unichip or a Link ECU. US cars are standardized to OBDII and I highly doubt that the Prodrive ECU is compatible. A true ECU replacement would be totally plug-and-play with a default fuel and spark map to get the car running so you can drive it to a dyno and have it tuned. Why do they want your original ECU? I smell something rotten.

-Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the deal was that they bought me a new ecu from the subaru dealership down in fl and fitted it with the prodrive chip upgrade. the reason they wanted my ecu is that they normally send you a new ecu and take your old one as a replacement. it does sound a litlle bit shady. i called total subaru performance and told them the problem. they were surprised and asked me to ship it back to get fixed. i think i will give it one more chance to see if it works. if it doesn't, where would you suggest i go to get the proper chip. thanks.

jon

·
Registered
161 Posts
watts said:
the deal was that they bought me a new ecu from the subaru dealership down in fl and fitted it with the prodrive chip upgrade. the reason they wanted my ecu is that they normally send you a new ecu and take your old one as a replacement...
That's how other companies does there ecu upgrade so its plug and play since you're still using the stock ecu with the upgraded/fitted chips inside. But I would do more research if I were you to see who has done this or if they are credible. Or you could be the first few ("the guinea pig").

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If nothing else, make sure you get the new stuff before you have to ship your chip back.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Some chip companies will require to send the ECU for them to modify (rendering the car useless for around a week). It is common for the VW people (unless they can go to an authorized distributor locally). Long story short, it depends on that company's reputation for ECU modifications, whether you should do it or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts