Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my head handed to me on a platter this weekend. Even the Prelude I usually beat got me (though on Saturday only by .1), so it was not a good weekend (besides my Mother passing away this morning).

My problem is that going through a slalom, the rear end was massively tail happy, no matter what the speed. I would enter the slalom, lifting off teh gas and applying left foot braking. That may have contributed to it, but not that huge ammount.

here is my setup:

Cusco Zero2 coilovers
spring rates I am told are 700kg fr, 600kg rr
5 is full firm setting, 1 is full soft
car lowered 1.5" to 2" (rear wheel well just covers top of tire)

MRT rear swaybar (looks like a Whiteline) - has 3 holes

fr swaybar us still the stock one

MRT swaybar links both fr and rr

I had the front shocks initially set to 1, then tried 2, 3, even 4 to try and compensate for the oversteer, but didn't seem to help. Lower settings might have helped front end to stick, but did give some lean. The rear shocks are set to 4, and the swaybar was at full firm. I tried tire pressures (225/45/17 Azenis on OZ SL 17X7 wheels) of 42 fr, 40 rr. Eventually went to 34 rr and that seemed to help a bit, but not enough.

Before my last run on Sunday, with Justin's help, we set the rear bar to meduim. But I had forgotten that I still had the front struts set to 4, and the tires were still at 42 fr, 34 rr. The back end behaved a bit better in the slalom, but I pushed too much in the turns - but then I too might have been pushing the car to try and compensate my lack of lowend power compared to the E30 //M3 I was up against. But still, I was having a ton of time wasting car control problems in every slalom. Most of my time was wasted just trying to hang on and keep it from snap spinning out on me. ANY help or suggestions are really welcome!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
z3,

Backing off the sway bar should definitely help. Lowering tire pressure rear, generally causes more oversteer, I would get the tires closer to what you started w/. Backing off the dampening in the rear should help reduce oversteer as well.

A front bar, 21,22mm, might help a little too. Also take out some body roll as well.

What alignment are you running? High neg camber front, more positive in the rear will contribute to oversteer.

Sounds like a little fine tuning and you will be fine.

Keep us updated.

Big Sky

·
Registered
31 Posts
maybe try power and brake in different places than you are now... instead of lifting in while turning slow down more before you turn then apply a little power through the turn. I'm no veteran auto-xer but it sounds like you're trying to hustle the car through the slalom too fast and lifting and breaking while you're turning.

other than that the front bar will help if you can't keep the tail in line with the stock rear even... Sounds like you're trying all the right things... damping and tire pressures...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry about you mother.

I try not to use the brakes through slaloms. I prefer to use an even throttle.

But if the rear end is comming out you need...

more pressure in the rear tires or less in the front

softer rear setting on the suspension/anti-roll bar or stiffer in the front

less toe out on the rear wheels

maybe just slow down. Sometimes the faster line is the slower line!

just a few things.

[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts