ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading a lot about buying a wrx and now im torn between what i want. ive always wanted the sti, now im just thinking about a wrx and making some upgrades to my own taste, i dont know what to do! a few weeks ago i found a really well written guide on buying a subaru used, i was hoping someone had a link to a really good one. im going to test drive some cars this weekend so im here to get some solid arguments what you guys think would suit me best. im not going to the track, but i dont want to get beat up on by other cars on the road (cobalts, eclipse, srt4, gay mustangs, civics lol, you know..) so im wondering if i should go for the sti (which is very un-realistic for me price wise and insurance wise) or a solid wrx with my own mods. i can afford either, i just dont want to fork out all my money if i can build something close if not better ya know?? im leaning more towards the wrx with my own upgrades, but i really need some opinions on year/model and what to look for when buying one, and if i should look for a granny stock, or if there are mods that a lot of people put on that will be ok to buy on a used car, and also what are some good early mods to put on to beast up my ride with right away. so far ive seen tbe, tmic, cobb ap, sway bars and end links, pro tunes, stainless brakelines. i dont know enough about the cars to go mod crazy, i just want to get above par on the streets and level of knowledge so i can upgrade further without blowing up my car! lol. sorry about my typing i have a broken hand in a cast at the moment, and i hope if anyone makes sense of this ramble they can help me! thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Read the stickies in this part of the forum.
Car Purchasing Forum

It sounds like you want to buy a WRX. The mod list you came up with is a great place for a WRX to be. Going further that that gets expensive (turbo, coilovers, ect)
i am leaning towards the wrx because its cheaper to maintain and its more personal and it will give me a more complete feeling knowing i built it how i want, i just dont know if its a waste of time lol, thanks for the link, i hope to get more help as to year/model to look for (ive been thinking 07, but i want to buy the best year i can, while not buying brand new, however those hatches are baaaad azzz lol)

i like this a lot but with the price i might as well buy brand new? http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2724804139.html

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
That was the dumbest **** I have ever read... Bashing the newbs is against the rules unless your me.. A wall of text may be frowned upon but that entire post is completely out of line and against many forum rules.. Especially the portion stating go kill yourself.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
i am leaning towards the wrx because its cheaper to maintain and its more personal and it will give me a more complete feeling knowing i built it how i want, i just dont know if its a waste of time lol, thanks for the link, i hope to get more help as to year/model to look for (ive been thinking 07, but i want to buy the best year i can, while not buying brand new, however those hatches are baaaad azzz lol)

i like this a lot but with the price i might as well buy brand new? 2007 Subaru WRX STI
The WRX and STI have really similar maintenance regiments (STI gear box holds more fluid, the headlights bulbs are more expensive). Both cars have equivalent mods available to them. The feeling you're looking for sounds like the placebo effect ;)

The WRX is easier to live with day to day, and the STI is more track focused.

The 07 STI's have weird maps loaded on them from the factory, but that's easy to fix with a reflash (Cobb AP) or a custom tune (protune). Also it's nothing to worry about.
That looks like a great car, but there isn't much information in the listing, other than the really low miles. Make sure it has a clean title, and follow the http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/134332670-complete-used-wrx-buying-checklist.html guide when looking at cars.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
That was the dumbest **** I have ever read... Bashing the newbs is against the rules unless your me.. A wall of text may be frowned upon but that entire post is completely out of line and against many forum rules.. Especially the portion stating go kill yourself.
I agree, that post should be removed.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Typically with a low mileage car and only 1 exterior picture I would look that car over closely. If you cant tell what paint fades/blends look like or masking edges I would ask to take it to a shop and a body shop. A lot of times with more expensive cars like STis or WRXs people will purchase them totaled with a clean title and rebuild them in a shop themselves or someone who doesnt report to carfax. Usually why a car with very low miles is still available because it has been slowly pieced together in someones back yard shop waiting to the day to capitalize on the first uneducated buyer.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
idont want to get beat up on by other cars on the road (cobalts, eclipse, srt4, gay mustangs, civics lol, you know..)
Please don't make your car purchasing decisions based on whether or not you'll be "beat up" on the road. There will always be faster cars out there. Buy the car because you like it, not because you're trying to prove something.

Also, no need to use derogatory language in reference to other cars. Subaru owners are a friendly bunch, and I hold no ill will against other enthusiast groups like Mustang owners. Calling other cars "gay" shows a lack of maturity.

With that out of the way, here's some more reading material in addition to what Jeremy posted. Check out the build threads in many people's signatures. That's a great way to get tutorials and ideas. Good luck, and if you find something, post the listing on here for people to help you check out!

Used Car Buying Checklist

Unibomber's Manifesto

First Mod Tips and What Not to Do

Have fun!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Haha i never read it. My bad.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Haha i never read it. My bad.
I understand you were being humorous but if your post is too long for you to proof read it then it's probably not a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts