Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I found where the oil was leaking from. It's not from the turbo, which is good news. I went to a local mechanic so he can tell me what to call the spot where the oil is leaking.

He said it's a rubber gromet called the rocker cover or valve train cover. It's right above the uppipe to exhaust manifold flange and right beneath the turbo. The oil is trickling down at slow, snail speed. The mechanic said that the rubber just deteriorated from the oil. I have 34k on my car, isn't it a little too soon for that to happen?

Either way, is this something that I can change, or should I have it professionally done? I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer and see if they would do it under warranty, but I don't know if they'll blame it on my mods. Could this be attributed to engine modification?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jibco said:
sometimes things like that can be solved by tightening down the fasteners or atleast checking the touque specs.
sorry about the leaks dude
Hmmm...I've never touched it before though. I really don't know what it is that I should be looking for. I know the general area. He said a gromet needs to be replaced. Not sure if this is as simple as he made it sound. Can anyone instruct me on how to do so?

·
Registered
635 Posts
ask the mechanic to give you an estimate, knowing dealers, they;re gonna blame your mods and charge you and arm and a leg. good luck

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RexMobbin' said:
ask the mechanic to give you an estimate, knowing dealers, they;re gonna blame your mods and charge you and arm and a leg. good luck
That's true, but I can still try to get it done under warranty. If not then I'll go to the mechanic.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
did they say it was a valve cover grommet? If so, its very easy to replace. It should just be a 10mm bolt. If you could post pics, i can help you out more.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
did they say it was a valve cover grommet? If so, its very easy to replace. It should just be a 10mm bolt. If you could post pics, i can help you out more.
I love you Corey :D I'll try posting pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
WRXin' said:
I love you Corey :D I'll try posting pics tomorrow.
whoah easy there buddy:eek: :D .
I just realized the "rocker cover" is the valve cover. let me look at my factory engine manual...........wow these kick a$$........... there are little gromets. Here a pic is much better- A new on shouldn't be more than 5 bucks.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
whoah easy there buddy:eek: :D .
I just realized the "rocker cover" is the valve cover. let me look at my factory engine manual...........wow these kick a$$........... there are little gromets. Here a pic is much better- A new on shouldn't be more than 5 bucks.
Hahaha...I thought that would catch you off guard :D So I guess tomorrow, I'll go to my dealer to order that part (valve cover). Then I'll see if I can do it myself. Should I drain the oil from the car before doing this?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
No Fahd, im sorry i should have been more clear. The part you need is a valve cover GROMMET. The bolt that holds the Valve cover down goes through it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
No Fahd, im sorry i should have been more clear. The part you need is a valve cover GROMMET. The bolt that holds the Valve cover down goes through it.
If that is the only part you need then you're in like Flynn. Simple procedure.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
Like AJ said, this should be fairly easy then. Thanks a bunch for all your help Corey :) I'll let everyone know how everything works out.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to my service rep (great guy) at my dealer today. He said he'll take care of it for me. I'm taking my car in tomorrow, so hopefuly all will be well :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
make sure you put your utec on "valet" I dont trust them dealership techs:D
Hahaha...I'll be standing right next to them the entire time :D

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I went in today, and they discovered that the crank seal is leaking too. Also, the boot on the front driver-side wheel was leaking grease. So they're replacing all of them under warranty. I love my dealer...they're so nice :)

So what causes those seals to leak like that? Does it have anything to do with boost and MAP?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
no it has to do with heat deteriorating rubber. Oh, and by boost you mean boots right? good thing you are geting those taken care of now. You didnt switch from conventional oil to synthetic right?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
BoostedBoxer said:
no it has to do with heat deteriorating rubber. Oh, and by boost you mean boots right? good thing you are geting those taken care of now. You didnt switch from conventional oil to synthetic right?
I think he has boost on the mind. :rolleyes: :D What's wrong with switching oils? Are you referring to SOA not repairing the leak under warranty?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BoostedBoxer said:
Yes, I did mean the boot (AJ is right, I do have boost on my mind :D), and I did switch to Mobil One 10w-30 Super Synth. What's wrong with doing so?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts