Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need help on this one guys.

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  SD_GR 
#1 ·
This is for an out of state sale that I'm interested in and just want some advice.

I've got a 2015 WRB limited WRX for sale, only one owner, and it looks like a great vehicle for $20,000 but I was able to get that for a bit lower...No mods except for an engine cover, a carbonfiber hood, and a performance exhaust. My issue is, the driver said that it had engine knock in cylinder 3 around 3X,XXX miles and had the clutch replaced along with the entire motor under Subaru warranty, he also hit a deer with no frame damage whatsoever but it trashed the hood, bumper, headlights/foglights, and radiator with rockers, all of which was covered under insurance with a clean title with the receipts shown. The new motor and clutch currently have 16,000 miles on them and it currently sits at 54,000 on the body. With everything done at the dealer, would you all say it sounds like a pretty solid car to take a look at if I live 7 hours away from it? Anybody else done the same? I'm just a bit nervous because I've never bought a used car from a person before lol

#12 ·
You are buying a car with a questionable story. 30k miles the engine was replaced under a recall. The recall happened years prior so either maintenance was not being done on the vehicle or that person put 30k on it in a year. I would lean toward the former.

Burning out a clutch in that time is also clear signs of abuse.

You are betting on a car known for catastrophic failure, that has suffered catastrophic failure, to not have it in the future. That's a bad bet to take man. I'm not in your pockets, but for my money no way. I've been down this path with my wrx. It gets really expensive really quick and an engine replacement alone nears 10k.

You need to honestly think about it, I have no skin in the game besides wanting to see happy owners here on the forum. I can only suggest strongly you reconsider. A vehicle with zero issues sells for the same asking price. You would be a fool to pay that for one with the history you've mentioned.

#14 ·
You are buying a car with a questionable story. 30k miles the engine was replaced under a recall. The recall happened years prior so either maintenance was not being done on the vehicle or that person put 30k on it in a year. I would lean toward the former.

Burning out a clutch in that time is also clear signs of abuse.

You are betting on a car known for catastrophic failure, that has suffered catastrophic failure, to not have it in the future. That's a bad bet to take man. I'm not in your pockets, but for my money no way. I've been down this path with my wrx. It gets really expensive really quick and an engine replacement alone nears 10k.

You need to honestly think about it, I have no skin in the game besides wanting to see happy owners here on the forum. I can only suggest strongly you reconsider. A vehicle with zero issues sells for the same asking price. You would be a fool to pay that for one with the history you've mentioned.
Subarus in general are catastrophic cars, specifically the WRX/STI...I'm taking a huge risk just by getting one.

He didn't burn the clutch up,they offered to replace it since they had already taken the motor out and it was part of the longblock assembly. The maintenance was done but the recall didn't happen until a year and a half after he got the car. I have all of the preventative care stuff on hand so he took very good care of it. He says he didn't get it taken care of right away because nothing was obviously wrong with it at the time. I'm gonna talk to the tech who did the work tomorrow and see his verdict, the paperwork says the motor issue was directly the cause

The car is really expensive.

A new one costs a bit more but is a lot cheaper.
Are you talking this one or just limiteds in general?

#16 ·
I was nervous to buy a used WRX/STi too. Only reason I did was because it was under lease return by a guy who worked at the dealership and it had only 11k on it. Yeah, it was $30k before everything was said and done (only $50 more than my previous loan I was already paying), but it’s piece of mind that I have a 100k warranty and a car fax that showed the guy babied the car (had it in for oil changes, etc).

I personally would question the person saying they ‘only’ put the aftermarket exhaust on the car.

If you really want to take a risk on the car, go to the dealership he got the work done at, with him, have them run the computer code to show if it ever had a flash done to it. These cars are very easily ragged on and people try to pass off damage to their car by trying to put the stock computer program back on it (which Subaru told me that on their performance cars with warranty service calls, that’s the first thing they check and the last number in the code changes every time you flash the computer). I wouldn’t trust one used with this many issues and that low of mileage.

Just my 2 cents.

#21 ·
Nobody is trolling you.

You asked a question. You got answers.

It’s Saturday morning and I just got back from the beach. I’m still sober and maybe it’s not the best decision I’ll make today but I’m leaving the thread open.

Let’s all have some sense of decorum though. You know how sensitive I am.

Reactions: ETNWRX
#20 ·
Just giving an opinion is not trolling. Depending on which definition you use, you’re trolling us for advice on a vehicle you want. Please remember, you’re asking a melting pot of folks from different backgrounds for opinions to answer a very specific request. Don’t be so sensitive please.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.