ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 04 WRX and winter is coming around the corner. I live in NY. So far on the list is rally armor flaps, and mabey snow tire if i can sell one of my other cars. Anything else i should get? Maintenance? Preperation? Anything for the turbo? What grade gas do i use in winter? Should I add an additive to prevent freezing? Any answers from winter-bound owners would be a great help. I've done alot of searching but havnt find alot. Thanks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
As a general rule, I use "dry-gas" (I grew up calling it that, don't know if it's the actual name) when the weather is going to be below 0 (the additive you speak of). Also, make sure your car has at least a quarter tank of gas at all times. I would recommend snows (especially if you're from upstate like me).

As for the turbo, only thing I would recommend is to take it easy on the car (try to remain out of boost) until it fully heats up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that alot " stay out of boost", does that just mean shift below 4K, or there a way to manually stay off boost? Also, is it normal to show 10-15 psi of vacuum when tooting around town? Thanks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
NY_04WRX said:
I hear that alot " stay out of boost", does that just mean shift below 4K, or there a way to manually stay off boost? Also, is it normal to show 10-15 psi of vacuum when tooting around town? Thanks.
With EM, you can not allow for the boost (Cobb AP is called "economy mode" I believe).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a stock WRX, so I dont think i have an EG(engine management) module, so would i just short shift on cold days to stay off boost?

·
Registered
635 Posts
In general it means to not be heavy on the gas pedal... because you can slowly let the engine go past 4k without hitting peak boost by accelerating slowly... so its not necessarily only dependant on rpms

1 - 6 of 6 Posts