Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i need some help with some issues im having with my 2003 wrx 5spd.

Bought the car with a bent control arm, put in sti aluminum control arms on both sides with poly bushings, while i was there i also put in brand new inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, end links, and front sway bar. So once I finished getting it all back together i go to move it and it wont budge it just made a bad noise like something was broken, at first I thought the brakes were seized but the wheels moved when i jacked it up and spun them, turns out the drives side axle was broken because the wheel had alot of play in it. So i installed the brand new driver side axle and i go to move the car, this time it did move but it still had some tension to it and made a low grinding or bunching noise once it gained some momentum it moved smoother but the initial take off was not smooth and i had to gas and clutch it much more than would normally need, im not sure it its the passenger side axle that is also bad or maybe something with the transmission, the brakes and rotors do need replacing but I doubt its them that cause this tension. Anyone with any ideas please help thanks alot!

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
Sounds like you bought a car that had the wheel smashed in. You'll need to go through everything in the front that's attached to that side. I wouldn't suspect the transmission specifically but if it got hit right and hard enough it could crush the axle back into the diff damaging it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you bought a car that had the wheel smashed in. You'll need to go through everything in the front that's attached to that side. I wouldn't suspect the transmission specifically but if it got hit right and hard enough it could crush the axle back into the diff damaging it.
Yea i went through everything even on the side that wasnt damaged, new control arms, bushings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, coilovers, end links, sway bar, and new driver side axle because i found out the driver axle was bad even tho it seemed to be ok, only other thing i can think of is maybe the passenger axle is also bad or maybe a transmission problem although i doubt its the transmission, the initial take off is rough but once it gets going it seems to be ok

·
Super Moderator
11,717 Posts
You checked all of the wheel bearings?

It could be brakes. If they need replaced its a place to start that doesn't cost you any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello everyone, i need some help with some issues im having with my 2003 wrx 5spd.

Bought the car with a bent control arm, put in sti aluminum control arms on both sides with poly bushings, while i was there i also put in brand new inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, end links, and front sway bar. So once I finished getting it all back together i go to move it and it wont budge it just made a bad noise like something was broken, at first I thought the brakes were seized but the wheels moved when i jacked it up and spun them, turns out the drives side axle was broken because the wheel had alot of play in it. So i installed the brand new driver side axle and i go to move the car, this time it did move but it still had some tension to it and made a low grinding or bunching noise once it gained some momentum it moved smoother but the initial take off was not smooth and i had to gas and clutch it much more than would normally need, im not sure it its the passenger side axle that is also bad or maybe something with the transmission, the brakes and rotors do need replacing but I doubt its them that cause this tension. Anyone with any ideas please help thanks alot!
Bump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.