ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I recently ran into some trouble with my serpentine belt skipping a track which led to a piece of the belt shredding, causing it to damage some sensors. I got the codes P0031 (Front 02 sensor heater control circuit low input), P0134 (Front O2 sensor circuit no activity detected, came unplugged) and P0198 (Oil temp sensor circuit sensor high input) The two sensors I need help figuring out would be the front O2 heater control circuit and the oil temp sensor. I've looked around online and can't find anything. The wires seem to be in tact, just the, I would assume, oil temp sensor damaged. I have a 2018 WRX with about 18K miles on it.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated since I'm fairly new to all of this.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
When it hit the oil an o2 sensor wires did it pull on the harness plugs any? If so it may have damaged the plugs, I’d check there before replacing them. Can check with ohm meter to see if they are sending the right signals. I can get in my laptop in the morning an send pic of what factory readings should be

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The o2 wires appeared to be okay, just got unplugged from each other. I thought I saw some fraying when looking down onto the sensor, but after getting under the car and looking at the wires closer, they were okay. The oil sensor wires appeared to be okay, as well. The plug is messed up for sure, though.

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Try an get it to where you can plug it back in, if that’s the body harness side sadly there’s no cheap replacement it’s a whole harness. I would just fix it to where you can plug it in an tape it, unless you bought it from a dealership an it was certified it may be under warranty an would get new complete engine harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a little over a year ago now, but i've put some aftermarket parts on so....bye bye warranty

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Depending on what parts you put on we see if they influence the cause, a serpentine belt snapping normally doesn’t fail do to mods

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the parts I have put on don't relate to the belt whatsoever. Front mount, air intake, tgv deletes, exhaust, fuel pump, ebcs, Cobb AP, and pro-tuned. some other stuff here and there (wheels/tires, coilovers, etc.)

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Ya depending on dealer an if the tech is a dick they may report it, but if your comfortable just fixing the plug an taping it then I’d go that route. I get cars a lot with mods but never report em lol sti just got new block 2 weeks ago with Cobb flex fuel an all kinds of crap on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i'll try that out first. if it doesn't work, I know what i'll do now. how far would someone have to go in order for you to not work on it? obviously every tech is different but how far is too far for you?

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Any modifications to the harness itself? I’d say if lived out here just bring it In an I’d say was a causality of belt failure. But ya try that first, cause ultimately it’s up to the tech if they wanna send in a modification report to Subaru, I’m assuming you have the 7yr 100k mile warranty tho meaning the car was a certified preowned an not just a preowned wrx.

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Then ya it’s certified lol especially with that low miles, you can call an they will look it up by vin as well an see if it’s under warranty. I was lucky to be the one to certify my car an bought it same day lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's awesome! must be a good feeling.
I know this is a dumb question and a dumb way to word it so bare with me lol...but what if I do call them and they ask if anything has been done to the car, I say yes, and then find out they won't do anything about it? because now, not only will they not do anything about the current issue, but will also not do anything in the future IF there were to be a bigger problem because I told them I have aftermarket parts on.
Not sure if that made any sense at all, but I tried my best haha

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Say it has a bearing issue or ring land issue down the road, I’d just convert it all back to stock( even the eco has to be reflashed to stock that’s first thing we check an have to send into Subaru for proof) but i seriously doubt they would ask most don’t care much. This honestly isn’t a big issue that I’d see them sayin your mods were the cause of the belt seein as you didn’t have to touch the belt for the fmic or anything else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Understood.
Thank you for bearing with me! I've just put a lot of time and money into it and stuff just keeps breaking on me. Irritating and just want it to be running smoothly, clearly that is not how cars work lol. Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
2017 WRX
22 Posts
Bout a year now, always been a Honda guy until then lol these are definitely way more finicky an touchy then Honda motors

1 - 20 of 20 Posts