ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I started my car, all I could smell was raw fuel, this was after 10min of warming up, I blew it off thinking it was just running extremely rich. This A.M. same thing, could smell it outside of the car from about 10ft away, and the vents were just pouring the smell of raw fuel. It was 3 degrees F. This A.M. and 5 yesterday. I checked the ground, no fuel, checked all around the fuel filter and all lines on driers side, no fuel. But if you get close to the passenger side, where it looks to be a fuel regulator, it smells like fuel, but I cannot see any anywhere. It does not seem to be running badly, but maybe a slight loss of power. No Check Engine Light, No spark knock just extreme raw fuel.

It is not leaking anywhere under the car and is not stronger toward the rear.

All that is done is a Perrin Up-Pipe, K&N Drop in filter and STI Catback. Replaced about 3 weeks ago was the Fuel Filter, PCV Valve and Oil (M1 5-30 Synthetic.) I did fill up with fuel 3 days ago (91 Octane) but did not do it until yesterday morning. I don't even know where to begin looking, as I have ruled out the filter area and lines.

Is this a return style fuel system? Or is it post fuel rail regulated?

Please help me out here. I've worked on about everything under the sun, but Fuel systems are still somewhat of a mystery to me.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yesterday morning I started my car, all I could smell was raw fuel, this was after 10min of warming up, I blew it off thinking it was just running extremely rich. This A.M. same thing, could smell it outside of the car from about 10ft away, and the vents were just pouring the smell of raw fuel. It was 3 degrees F. This A.M. and 5 yesterday. I checked the ground, no fuel, checked all around the fuel filter and all lines on driers side, no fuel. But if you get close to the passenger side, where it looks to be a fuel regulator, it smells like fuel, but I cannot see any anywhere. It does not seem to be running badly, but maybe a slight loss of power. No Check Engine Light, No spark knock just extreme raw fuel.

It is not leaking anywhere under the car and is not stronger toward the rear.

All that is done is a Perrin Up-Pipe, K&N Drop in filter and STI Catback. Replaced about 3 weeks ago was the Fuel Filter, PCV Valve and Oil (M1 5-30 Synthetic.) I did fill up with fuel 3 days ago (91 Octane) but did not do it until yesterday morning. I don't even know where to begin looking, as I have ruled out the filter area and lines.

Is this a return style fuel system? Or is it post fuel rail regulated?

Please help me out here. I've worked on about everything under the sun, but Fuel systems are still somewhat of a mystery to me.
I was wondering who would be the first to post about this for the winter season. There is a TSB for this problem, some have had it fixed, some haven't.

I haven't, and I had the smell last night. I've gotten used to it. Only happens when it's really cold.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here you go:

TSB is #09-36-03, issued 4/1/03. Impacts 2002 WRX models. Text as follows: "Some 2002 model Impreza WRX (2.0L Turbo) may experience a fuel smel lin cold weather (temperature <14F) from the rubber hose connector, located under the intake manifold, between two direct fuel-feed metal lines to the injectors."

Repair as follows: "The changing of the pipe and hose size was adopted, starting with engine number 673467 to better align the two fuel lines. This was accomplished by shortening the fuel pipe and lengthening the hose by 33 mm. To complete this service procedure you must replace the fuel pipe assembly and hose as a set."

Parts: 17544AA134 Pipe complete (30 mm shorter than the old one)
807707140 Hose (30mm longer than the old one)

It seems to be a common problem w/ '02 & '03. I have the same thing but have yet to repair. I suppose because it only happens a handful of times a year when temperatures are around zero.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!!!!! I was freaking out this morning, and I was high as **** from the gas fumes when I got to work this A.M. I did also Notice I used an unusual amount of fuel both mornings, almost an 1/8 tank and I drove a total of 14 miles, but let the car warm up for 10-12 min both mornings... that unusual?

I ordered a block heater from Subaru, tired of hearing the horrid cold start, hopefully that does away with the clanking and clunking and the battery not having the **** to turn the engine over...

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
T
I ordered a block heater from Subaru, tired of hearing the horrid cold start, hopefully that does away with the clanking and clunking and the battery not having the **** to turn the engine over...
I don't think a block heater is gonna help with your cranking problem as your battery will still be cold. The block heater will help with the oil viscosity and make sure the coolant doesn't freeze in the block, but to get more cold cranking amps out of the battery, either buy a battery warmer or buy a better battery.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would sure make me feel better though....

A little off topic, but what kind of Vacuum should I be seeing at warm idle?

I just installed a Boost metric boost gauge, I'm seeing generally .9-1.0 KG/CM2 which is about right, however its spiked 1.2kg/cm2 twice, but very quickly going back to .9/1.0.

And seeing about 45-50 Cm Hg (about 9.4-9.6lbs) Vacuum...at warm idle, is this typical?

And last but not least, I've noticed on 50% or less throttle it will go past .7 kg/cm2 (10lbs) but quickly back to .5 (7lbs) and hold. Is this normal boost operation?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I was one of these victims too. My old WRX was the first reported in the Milwaukee area back in Jan of 03. They were gonna charge me $900 to fix it!!!!!:whoa: Thank god I argued and they ended up with a TSB for it. Go get fixed immediately.

She'll be all better soon. :)

No the block heater won't fix the clanking and clunking noises. I had the same issue with my WRX. First Gen.....

My 04 STI sounds excellent now even starting at 0 degrees or less. :) No block heater at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey all. I've got a 2002 WRX down in the DFW-Texas area, and a few days this winter I've hit the same thing. Weird thing though, is that at most, it's been a few degrees ABOVE freezing when I got the smell. (Although yesterday, there was a windchill that got it into the 20's.)

ANYWAY, the TSB mentions engine number XXXXX and higher were fixed. Is this the last few of the VIN, or is there an actual engine number that I can check to verify that it does, indeed, affect my vehicle, and is not another fuel leak I should be concerned with.

Thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts