ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EJ20 with a timing belt that somehow managed to jump one tooth on the LH exhaust cam sprocket. (The 3 other cam sprockets are still properly aligned).

Is there a safe way to re-align the timing belt on the "jumped" sprocket without pulling the crankshaft accessory pulley, removing the entire timing belt, and messing with the belt tensioner?

(I'm told it takes a special tool to hold the crankshaft pulley to loosen the bolt, and another special tool to compress the hydraulic tensioner).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Find a small bolt, put in on the sprocket and turn the crankshaft. It will move one tooth in one direction. Put it on the other side and turn it the other way to go the opposite way. If you jumped one tooth, i'd just get a new belt anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the timing belt and idler pulleys off today, and re-aligned with "jumped" cam cog to the proper position. The cogs and belt looked fine, but a couple of the idler pulley bearings were worn and making noise, perhaps because of the grit and sand that had worked it's way behind the covers. I'm wondering if the bad idler pulley bearing were enough to make the belt jump one cog at high RPM's?

After I got the timing belt back together I ran a compression check which looked good - 138 to 140 across all 4 cylinders. I know a leak-down test would be a better check for bent valves, but I don't have a leak down gauge. Since the compression is good, and the engine tuned over easily and smoothly, I hope my valves are not bent!

After the compression test I put everything back together and tried to start the engine, BUT NO LUCK. I carefully rechecked the crank, timing belt, and cam cog alignments, which looked good, but still wouldn't start. I checked for spark (on one plug) and it was good. I thought maybe it flooded during the compression check, so I waited a while, but it still wouldn't fire. It just cranks and cranks, without catching or firing at all (like there is no spark).

If I have spark and gas, and the cam timing is correct, what should I check next?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts