ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just installing a turbo back exhaust... i have a short ram intake also ... on 96 jdm ver2 sti
Wondering do i need engine management or will the ecu adjust appropriately..?

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
Im just installing a turbo back exhaust... i have a short ram intake also ... on 96 jdm ver2 sti
Wondering do i need engine management or will the ecu adjust appropriately..?
Yes, you will need engine management for both the TBE and the intake. Although, I'm not sure that the 1996 WRX/STi had flash-able ROM ECUs....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the rally drivers must have done something back then...?
It has an obd 1 port but normally just for diags right except for those piggy back chips

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
yeah, EM for GC-era stuff was more complicated - there's no modification for the stock ecu (short of reprogramming the PROM yourself after dissasembling the code). Everything must be done standalone or through piggyback.

Good luck :/

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I'm no JDM, or even USDM, expert, but a lot of guys on my local forum run a Rob 440 or a Rob 550 tune. I'm not sure what the requirements are for each tune but it's worth googling some info on.

Where in Canada are you?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There's a big JDM crowd at westernsubaruclub.com

I'm in Calgary myself.

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
Well the rally drivers must have done something back then...?
It has an obd 1 port but normally just for diags right except for those piggy back chips
There's a lot that separates your $30K car from a $500K rally car; don't think that you bought a real rally spec car. Our cars have more in common with a base model Impreza than a true rally car.

That being said, most rally cars had special race-derived features such as dry-sump lubrication, stand-alone advanced engine management, stand alone chassis management, likely mechanical fuel delivery, and sweet co-drivers... all the goodies that we don't get (and Subaru was able to cut to bring the car down to its current price point). In other words, to have your car tuned, you'll likely need to be chipped with a flash-rom based ECU or go with a full-fledged engine management system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh... i always thought they came of the line as is and were susequently stripped down and upgraded part by part...

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
huh... i always thought they came of the line as is and were susequently stripped down and upgraded part by part...
Yes, you're right. But nearly everything is replaced in the WRC car. Even the chassis is stripped, welded, and strengthened. Each individual component (turbo, motor, differentials, gearbox, etc) has its own sealed oil supply... this makes it easy to quickly swap a part between stages without having to drain and replace the fluids. When all is done, you have a car that LOOKS like its factory equivalent, but is pretty far-removed from its street legal counterpart. The same Group-N regulations applied to rally as did to touring car racing. 1 part for every 10 standard cars must be produced as a homologated "evolution" model with a minimum 2500 IIRC built.

Reactions: Mikie13

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yes, you're right. But nearly everything is replaced in the WRC car. Even the chassis is stripped, welded, and strengthened. Each individual component (turbo, motor, differentials, gearbox, etc) has its own sealed oil supply... this makes it easy to quickly swap a part between stages without having to drain and replace the fluids. When all is done, you have a car that LOOKS like its factory equivalent, but is pretty far-removed from its street legal counterpart. The same Group-N regulations applied to rally as did to touring car racing. 1 part for every 10 standard cars must be produced as a homologated "evolution" model with a minimum 2500 IIRC built.
How the hell do you know this stuff? You're smrt :p

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Engine management solutions: Reflashed ECU, ECU tuned at a shop, Piggyback Engine Management, and Stand Alone Engine Management.
-A reflashed store-bought ECU is a modified stock ECU. It is set at one level of tune and left there. It is not adjustable without going to a shop(or downloading new maps).
-A custom tuned ECU is a reflashed ECU tuned specifically for the car it is in at a tuning shop. This allows a professional tune. This method will allow maximum performance and safety.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts

Like zax said, you're theoretically correct, but in reality the only thing that is even close to the same is the shell, and even that has been highly modified. The gear box alone from one of those cars can cost over $80,000 USD.

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
Sneaky sneaky, spam!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts