Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 WRX and just spun a rod bearing, my plan was to buy a new shortblock and rebuilt and clean the rest, it has 117k miles on it , what do you guys think is it worth keeping it or try to sell it? If I keep it I'm trying to get at least another 100k on it, do you guys think the transmission will go as soon as I put the new block since it has 117k? Asking those who had the same situation going on, i had just recently replaced clutch, flywheel, slavecylinder, timing belt and tensioners, powersteering pump, water pump, new turbo,

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Lots of cars out there with new engines running great on up to and past 200k. The 5 speeds are fairly durable at stock power and in general a manual transmission is pretty robust for many many miles.

If I were sitting in your seat I would pay for a necropsy to determine the cause of the bearing failure. Then address that failure on the new engine rebuild. It may not hurt to have the heads sent to a machine shop and completely cleaned and machined however you can probably just have them decked flat. A new shortblock should go for as long as the stock block went.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
XJ's advice is good as usual. Do the clutch while you're at it if you're going to rebuild the car. The 08 is the lowest resale WRX so in your case I would lean toward fixing it if you can do some of the work yourself, or have access to an affordable and competent mechanics. If you do this through a Subaru dealer at standard labor rate it will most likely kill the value propsition so in that case you may be better selling it and getting a new one from me of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for feedback, yea my plan is to keep it but also have this feeling to get rid of it, in last 2 n hlf years I've spent around 5500 on it, changed the timing belt and tensioners, water pump and brake lines at 95k, clutch flywheel and slave cylinder at 100k, powersteering pump, spark plugs and coils, and new VF4 turbo at 115k, my worry is how long will the transmission last after I get everything done ? Car was never raced and banged the gears or forced , I drove it between fun and average

1 - 4 of 4 Posts