Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I would like to install larger muffler tips on my 2017 WRX to fill in the cutouts a little more. I really like the way the ETS axle back tips look and that's the look I wanna go for, but I'm not looking for a louder exhaust. The tips are 3.5" double wall in stainless steel. I know I can go online and buy some, but here are my concerns:

1) It doesn't look like anything larger than the stock 3" tips will fit. They will be touching each other and probably won't be able to sit properly on the inlets.
2) I'm not sure where the inlet measurements are taken from. I took a pic to show what I'm talking about.

Can anyone make a recommendation on how I can get this done properly? I spoke to a few muffler shops in my area and they basically just want me to bring them the tips for install. They don't sell merchandise or do any custom work. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
Your local muffler shops don't do custom work? They must want to go out of business.

Honestly, you are going to have to find something with an offset. Or make it yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ Apparently that wasn't an option when I spoke to the two 'reputable' shops near me. I live in the metro NY area.....when it comes to ANYTHING around here, people just want to make the most amount of money while doing the least amount of work. They basically both said to make sure it all fits perfectly or it won't work. I really dont want to get a whole exhaust system either to get larger tips. I'm not looking for sound.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Get the muffled ETS Axleback, or 5" Muffler Nameless Axleback with 4" tips... it won't be much louder, and the quality is better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You live in the metro New Nork area and there are only two shops that have a decent reputation? Sounds like their reputation is not worth much. Find another shop. That is basic work for an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Get the muffled ETS Axleback, or 5" Muffler Nameless Axleback with 4" tips... it won't be much louder, and the quality is better.
I would LOVE to get the ETS setup but honestly I don't think it's quiet enough. I'm not doing any engine mods to my car, purely aesthetics.

You live in the metro New Nork area and there are only two shops that have a decent reputation? Sounds like their reputation is not worth much. Find another shop. That is basic work for an exhaust shop.
Yes I asked for recommendations in the regionals and I called the two shops that were recommended to me. There's a ton of muffler shops around here, but based on the feedback I got from them it's looking harder than it should be. I'd rather go somewhere thats known cause this mod needs to come out perfect. I dont want a hack job where one side is saggin lower or the tips are stickin out too far etc... I'm going to call a few spots tomorrow that had good reviews online... they're abouy an hour from me. Hopefully I can send them some pucs of my current setup and what I'm looking for and they can give me an idea on wgat can be done before I drive out there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you're just replacing the tips, any decent muffler shop should be able to do the job. What shops are you calling? If you're calling dedicated speed shops, they probably will try to turn this down since its not really something they will make much money on.

IMO, you should just go with a good, used axleback. It will probably cost you around $300 and maybe 3 weeks of searching the classifieds and local facebook groups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you're just replacing the tips, any decent muffler shop should be able to do the job. What shops are you calling? If you're calling dedicated speed shops, they probably will try to turn this down since its not really something they will make much money on.

IMO, you should just go with a good, used axleback. It will probably cost you around $300 and maybe 3 weeks of searching the classifieds and local facebook groups.
I started thinking that too, but from what I hear the closest sound to stock is the Q300 which is a catback, and has 4.3 inch tips which is way too large for this car in my opinion. The ETS is gorgeous but the loudest (even the quiet version), and Ive heard mixed reviews on the Nameless w/ 5inch mufflers.

·
Super Moderator
11,737 Posts
The only people who don't like the nameless 5" are those who just want noise and think straight pipes sound great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go to a local meet or look on a local subaru facebook page. I'm sure you can find somebody with the nameless 5" (or similar) to take you for a quick ride so that you can hear it for yourself. The problem with relying on what you hear second hand is these things are highly subjective... especially an exhaust note.

I've got an el cheap-o OBX axleback on my 14 hatch. Buddy of mine was selling it for $120 bucks and I said what the hell, why not. It sounds about the same as an SPT axleback (maybe a little louder) and looks pretty decent (not great, but fair). Personally, love the way the nameless with 5" mufflers sounds, and the design is pretty spot on, too, so I'll be going with that next time I have $600 burning a hole through my pocket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It would probably make more sense to get an axle back, based on price, quality, and potential fitment over trying to get some SS tips. Some tips go for 40-50 bucks a piece, but I'm really not looking for sound.

Based on your opinion, how much louder is the nameless 5" over stock?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^^ Thanks. Figured I'd ask. I appreciate everyone's input. I'll update the thread when I figure out what I'm going to do. I'm stopping by two other shops tomorrow to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update. Went to another two muffler shops today. They told me the same thing. 3.5" tips won't fit on this car without a different muffler style. Our mufflers have two inlets each, and they are too close together to allow a larger diameter tip size. One shop was like: "We can do it. We're just gonna cut your mufflers off and straight pipe it." I was like yeah sure thing guy.

So I'm going to look at axle back options. Probably a Nameless 5" and put a resonator in my mid pipe. I would've gone Q300 but their tip size is silly big.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts