1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Is that first picture the Cathedral on Colfax? If so, I did my final for a black and white photography class on that building. Pretty cool stuff!

If it's the same building, I'll scan and post the photos I took and show you what my "perspective" was on it :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Cathedral shot works, with the low contrast and lens flare, but it could do without the top left corner being interrupted.

The shot of downtown Denver would be vastly improved by cropping the pole or whatever is on the right edge of the frame, and zooming in. Also the tilt would be better were it more deliberate, rather than slight, which makes it look accidental. I'd say line it up straight in cropping.

My opinions only. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know if you wanted to discuss others in the slideshow, but some of your night shots are underexposed. It's amazing how cool it looks when you use a tripod and open the shutter for eight or more seconds!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll PM you when I get back in town. Here are a couple quick hints:

1. Don't center every photo. Try to divide the picture into thirds.

2. Don't leave so much space above peoples heads.

3. When you take the photo crop out anything that doesn't add to the photo.

4. Keep away from straight lines, poles or wires in the background unless they have some importance to the image.

5. When you photograph a skyline or landscape wait for dramatic lighting before you take the photo. The first and last fifteen minutes of the day are usually the best or interesting cloud cover. Have something to capture your eye in the foreground.

6. Get a subscription to Popular Photography. It's cheap and has lots of good hints for beginners. Study photographers who you like and try to copy their techniques and styles. (it's ok if you are just learning)

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the critique guys! I definetly have some issues I need to work on, but its been awhile since i had B&W photography in school,and I have lots of pix that I want to start showing again. Its not the best camera either, I miss the days I used a nice one and not a generic 35mm zoom

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
There's also a cool medieval church on Broadway (northbound) around Ellsworth or 1st. And a couple other ones downtown - I'll have to note where they are next time I drive by.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
Fiend, I like the Cathedral picture. The other one, I couldn't understand. Were you intentially going for extra 'head room' by throwing in the sky? Good stuff though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts