ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used cheap snow tires that are good in the snow, dry pavement, and the rain? Anyone hear of Kelly magnagrip snow tires?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
So you're looking for the holy grail of tires :tongue: . Cheap, good on everything... sorry not gonna happen... As it is cheap and tires aren't usually a good combination in a sentence. Might want to clarify what aspect is most important. (snow, rain, dry, or just cheap). Good luck with your search. :)

I haven't heard of the Magnagrips, so can't help you out there.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I would never buy CHEAP tires. My Hankook W400's were pretty INEXPENSIVE, and have done great for the last 2 winters. This will be winter #3, and I'm looking forward to hitting the white stuff again :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheap, inexpensive, same thing.

I need a tire that is decent in snow and dry, not the best. I know some good snow tires absolutley suck on pavement and I need something that does well on both. Anyone hear of Kelly Magnagrip tires?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
well, Discounttires had cheap ($52) Semperit SportGrip for a while but when i finally decided to pick them up like 3 weeks ago, they were out of stock and no one else had them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Saving $40 or $50 on a set of tires will only give you the opportunity to spend many hundreds of dollars in repair costs, insurance deductibles and increased premiums. Tires are the most important factor in "low grip" situations, so don't skimp. Just like you wouldn't put no-name oil or gas in your Rex (I hope!) don't put discount tires on!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ursmother said:
Has anyone used cheap snow tires that are good in the snow, dry pavement, and the rain? Anyone hear of Kelly magnagrip snow tires?
Well i don't have my wrx anymore but i did just buy snow tires for my G35 coupe. I went to 5 different places and couldn't find anything cheap. I went with the Pirelli 240 Snowsports. These tires aren't the best out there but i heard they were pretty decent. Paid $1050 for just the tires and installation. So to answer your question, no, there are no cheap snow tires out there that will perform how you want them to. Just spend the extra money and stay safe. Since you have all-wheel drive, you should look into some nice All-season tires rather than snow tires.

No i have never heard of Kelly Magnagrip tires.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
fastwrx135 said:
Well i don't have my wrx anymore but i did just buy snow tires for my G35 coupe. I went to 5 different places and couldn't find anything cheap. I went with the Pirelli 240 Snowsports. These tires aren't the best out there but i heard they were pretty decent. Paid $1050 for just the tires and installation. So to answer your question, no, there are no cheap snow tires out there that will perform how you want them to. Just spend the extra money and stay safe. Since you have all-wheel drive, you should look into some nice All-season tires rather than snow tires.

No i have never heard of Kelly Magnagrip tires.
$1050 for freaking tires!!!!!!!!!:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Did they give you some lube with that rear bashing?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got Viking SnowTech (made by Continental) from www.tiresavings.com for $56 apiece. Haven't put them on yet, but they seem OK. The compound is very soft, almost sticky to the touch and thread pattern looks good too. Oh, and they are H-rated. For $265 delivered they are cheap. Time will tell if they are any good...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Keep an eye in the For Sale sections. Before last winter, I picked up a set of lightly used Blizzak LM22's (215/45/17) mounted on some Rota Tarmacs for $700 (wheels and tires). Have the seller measure the remaining tread depth, and compare it to what the tread depth is new (info can be found on TireRack or other sites) to determine a fair price and reassure yourself that you aren't getting someone else's trash.

If you want something that's good in the dry, you may want to consider a good all season tire like a Pirelli Nero M&S that can also get you through light snow. I don't know any snow tires that I would consider to be more than "marginal" in the dry. Mine are fair in the dry at best, compared to summer tires. But they rock in the wet, slush, and snow. :)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Ursmother said:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=2003&sw=true&pc=11815&rd=16&vid=007040

These are pretty cheap snow tires that peform well in dry and snow. I think I'm gonna get these. You really don't have to spend alot of $$ to get decent snow tires. It just takes a little looking around.
There ya go, now you're getting it. The tread design on those looks way different from the W400, but I don't know if you can even get the W400 any more. Let us know how you like those W300's after you get them mounted :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discount tire is out of those for the season.... in a few days they will email you telling you this and recommending you get the goodyear ultra grip ice. You should just call them and switch your order if you already ordered them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
DTR rex said:
$1050 for freaking tires!!!!!!!!!:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Did they give you some lube with that rear bashing?
Naw man... I didn't feel like ordering through tirerack.com then waiting.
Its my fault for waiting this long to get them. Everywhere i went they were all pretty much sold out of snow tires. Tirerack.com listed the tires i got at $200 each, so yeah i got ripped a little bit but they got the tires in one day and installed them quick. Tires for 18's aren't cheap as i just found out, especially for the sizes i needed. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
billdouglas said:
Discount tire is out of those for the season.... in a few days they will email you telling you this and recommending you get the goodyear ultra grip ice. You should just call them and switch your order if you already ordered them.
:mad: :mad: :mad: Figures

1 - 20 of 22 Posts