Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to make an upgrade in my sound system. I bought the factory amp/sub and speaker upgrade and I regret it. The sound quality is a little better than average but I should have stayed away from the factory and went to a decent audio store.

Has anybody out there replaced their upgraded speakers and found a great improvement with their new speakers?

1) Without replacing the head unit and factory amp/sub, what are the best speakers to buy?
2) Will I get enough power out of the factory amp/sub to drive new speakers? I have another amp that I can also use in addition to the factory amp.

I did read some older post that addressed some of my questions, but I'm hoping for a few more opinions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey Paul,

I also made the mistake of getting the upgraded speakers and sub. I didn't know that the speakers would still be paper cone crap. I order MB Quart 6.5" components (~$180) for the front and MB Quart 4" coaxials (~$80) for the rears. I intend to install them over my holiday vacation and I'll let you know how it sounds.

Also, the stock sub woofer has gain and cross over adjustment knobs on it. I haven't played with mine yet, but I hear that you can greatly improve the sound of the stock system.

Two good stereo sites: www.uscaraudio.com www.onlinecarstereo.com

-Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
The best speakers would be MB Quart and JBL. I have JBL's in my Chrysler right now and they sound very good, I bought them because I couldn't afford the component set from MB Quart. I used to sell car audio at a local electronic store chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NoTe - thanks for the reply.

Our fellow WRX'er - PlatinumWRX is installing his MB Quart speakers over the holiday and has offered me the opportunity to hear how they sound. I should have known he would get only the best for his WRX.

PS - you will love your WRX when you finally get it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
MB Quarts are nice! But I'd definitely get an amp to power them dont let them go to waste by running them off the factory head unit :(

Oh I'm new around here but I know alot about car audio and will be getting my WRX soon enough. Already building my system for it :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Pt, you ever get those MB Quartz's installed?

How do they sound?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts