ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04'WRX w/ EJ207 JDM sti v8 twin scroll swap. Other than the swap itself, the other mods are cutback and a short ram. All in all, my goal as right now is 350-380whp. I would like to know what exactly should I do in order to reach my goal.

thanks in advance. :)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'm no expert with the JDM engines, but that sounds like a lofty goal for a 2.0. The internals may be up to it in the STI block, but how driveable will the car be? Food for thought. :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
What is the power output now?

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
I'm no expert with the JDM engines, but that sounds like a lofty goal for a 2.0. The internals may be up to it in the STI block, but how driveable will the car be? Food for thought. :)
yeah that'll be a ***** to drive.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the power output now?
To be quite honest I really don't know, I haven't had the chance to dyno it yet. From what I've heard, if its a factory stock JDM v8 sti the power output is somewhere from 280-310ish hp

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
I would speak to someone with a dyno that can map the car for you and go from there.

·
48,699 Posts
What will be the purpose of the car? If it's going to be any sort of daily driver, I'd get some feedback from someone who lives with >350whp peak on a 2.0 on a regular basis. My 2.5 makes less power than that with an 18G, (according to the good people at Heartbreaker Dyno, Inc., at least), but has a very usable torque curve for driving around town. A peaky but impressive hp number would have sounded good to forum buddies, but would have driven me nuts.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
The AVCS and twin-scroll setup would make the 2.0L much more liveable though, Ray. It won't be nearly as laggy as the EJ205 or DSM 2.0L motors. I've ridden in a 400whp Evo X and it punches as hard/ even harder than many built 2.5L Subarus I've experienced.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
What will be the purpose of the car? If it's going to be any sort of daily driver, I'd get some feedback from someone who lives with >350whp peak on a 2.0 on a regular basis. My 2.5 makes less power than that with an 18G, (according to the good people at Heartbreaker Dyno, Inc., at least), but has a very usable torque curve for driving around town. A peaky but impressive hp number would have sounded good to forum buddies, but would have driven me nuts.
This is true. People don't realize how much 350whp actually is. It's nothing to sneeze at. Plus with all the driveline slop youre gonna want to go through and do all the bushings/mounts, this will help with putting power to the ground without having to push the motor as hard. It also helps with the driveability but for those that don't like noise in the cabin this can be annoying. What transmission is in the car? If it's a 5spd then you can easily destroy it even if it is the RA gearsets. Are you ready to drop ~$4k on just driveline upgrades? (that is the cheap end of the spectrum too) Do you have suspension and brake plans? All that power does you no good if you can't stop when you want. Are you going to upgrade your wheels and tires too so you can stop faster and put the power to the ground easier? Do you have a backup car to drive while you do the work or your car breaks? All things to think about. My tuner estimates that I have around 370whp in my WRX and I don't drive that car daily. I have a 73hp Subaru Brat that I putt around in.

The AVCS and twin-scroll setup would make the 2.0L much more liveable though, Ray. It won't be nearly as laggy as the EJ205 or DSM 2.0L motors. I've ridden in a 400whp Evo X and it punches as hard/ even harder than many built 2.5L Subarus I've experienced.
I'm not familiar with the differences between all the motors.

·
48,699 Posts
The AVCS and twin-scroll setup would make the 2.0L much more liveable though, Ray. It won't be nearly as laggy as the EJ205 or DSM 2.0L motors.
This could very well be true. Sounds to me like he'd need a tuner who knows how to work with those things, though. Probably not as common as the rhinovirus.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is true. People don't realize how much 350whp actually is. It's nothing to sneeze at. Plus with all the driveline slop youre gonna want to go through and do all the bushings/mounts, this will help with putting power to the ground without having to push the motor as hard. It also helps with the driveability but for those that don't like noise in the cabin this can be annoying. What transmission is in the car? If it's a 5spd then you can easily destroy it even if it is the RA gearsets. Are you ready to drop ~$4k on just driveline upgrades? (that is the cheap end of the spectrum too) Do you have suspension and brake plans? All that power does you no good if you can't stop when you want. Are you going to upgrade your wheels and tires too so you can stop faster and put the power to the ground easier? Do you have a backup car to drive while you do the work or your car breaks? All things to think about. My tuner estimates that I have around 370whp in my WRX and I don't drive that car daily. I have a 73hp Subaru Brat that I putt around in.
Trust me, If I had the funds to purchase a second car, my WRX will not be daily-driven. As for everything else you said, I've taken it into account. All in all, to be honest '350whp' is my goal and not looking to see in just a few weeks. I started this thread to see what other options can get me there. -- In a week or two, I'm going to get a stage 2 protune and see how it feels. Should I begin like that? or should I leave the car how it is?

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Trust me, If I had the funds to purchase a second car, my WRX will not be daily-driven. As for everything else you said, I've taken it into account. All in all, to be honest '350whp' is my goal and not looking to see in just a few weeks. I started this thread to see what other options can get me there. -- In a week or two, I'm going to get a stage 2 protune and see how it feels. Should I begin like that? or should I leave the car how it is?
Stage 2 is worlds better than a stock tune. I would definitey suggest that you start there. Look at my build thread in my signature. That (alledgedly) got me to the power levels you're looking for. But that is on a 2.5 and it's not cheap.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
nunez07c said:
Since you're stating a number goal, you need to figure out which dyno you're looking to achieve it on, since they can read drastically different; +/-10% isn't unheard of. If you know the shop, post it up and maybe we can help, but they'd know their equipment and work best, so also ask them what it would take.

That said, start with StageII. See how you like that and adjust your goal based on that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts