Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've had my 2016 WRX for over a year now with 60,000kms on the clock and I am in love! A lot of these questions may sound silly to a lot of you and I have tried researching myself but can never find a straight answer!

To be honest I'm not really looking for more speed! I am just looking for an exhaust and a blow off valve with a nice sound. I'm looking at turbo back exhaust systems and plan on installing it myself as most set ups look to just be a bolt-on job and the same with the BOV.

Now (here come the dumb questions) the only thing from stopping me at this point is will this have any negative effect on my stock engine? I've seen that installing a BOV on a stock WRX can have some downsides but I'm not sure. What engine mods would I need to do to safely have a BOV because I'd love the flutter sound. Also, after installing a new turbo back exhaust and BOV will I need to get my car tuned? I hope you guys can help me to fully understand! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,618 Posts
Hi everyone! I've had my 2016 WRX for over a year now with 60,000kms on the clock and I am in love! A lot of these questions may sound silly to a lot of you and I have tried researching myself but can never find a straight answer!

To be honest I'm not really looking for more speed! I am just looking for an exhaust and a blow off valve with a nice sound. I'm looking at turbo back exhaust systems and plan on installing it myself as most set ups look to just be a bolt-on job and the same with the BOV.

Now (here come the dumb questions) the only thing from stopping me at this point is will this have any negative effect on my stock engine? I've seen that installing a BOV on a stock WRX can have some downsides but I'm not sure. What engine mods would I need to do to safely have a BOV because I'd love the flutter sound. Also, after installing a new turbo back exhaust and BOV will I need to get my car tuned? I hope you guys can help me to fully understand! Thank you!
So you don't want to go fast, you want to sound like teen angst?

Tires, brakes, suspension bushings, and driver mods make you faster. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Any air channel between intake and catalyst needs a tune if modified. Turbo backs need a tune, need supporting mods and won't be road legal in many places. BOVs will kill the engine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So basically what i'm grasping is you want the woosh sounds without any of the speed. I wouldn't recommend the BOV but i think a turboback, intake, and a tune will fill that gap you are looking for. and yes you will need a tune.

·
In Æternum
16,890 Posts
You can't "tune" for a BOV.

Unless your definition of tuning is to switch over to speed density air metering.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm assuming you mean you want more power.

Start with an intake and a tune. You'll get some of the turbo sounds you're looking for and you should notice an increase in power and throttle response. Don't go all-in at once. Start with that and come back 'if' you want more.

From what you have described, it will be right up your alley and the best bang for your buck.

Drive safely and respectfully. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
good article on mods

Now (here come the dumb questions) the only thing from stopping me at this point is will this have any negative effect on my stock engine? I've seen that installing a BOV on a stock WRX can have some downsides but I'm not sure. What engine mods would I ned to do to safely have a BOV because I'd love the flutter sound. Also, after installing a new turbo back exhaust and BOV will I need to get my car tuned? I hope you guys can help me to fully understand! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
LOL priceless article. People just love to install the unnecessary AOS. It falls right in line with the following BOV. Also, everyone knows you need those coiiillls boyy! Lower means better handling, no matter what.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lol, exactly what you would expect from vivid.

If you just want sound, throw on an axleback or catback. Everything else needs tuning, and while relatively safe, there's always a risk, one you don't need just for sound. Intakes are just expensive noise makers at moderate power levels.

·
Registered
2016 wrx
255 Posts
Invidia r400 for catback! And maybe a grimmspeed bpv. I went with a hybrid turbo xs and instantly felt the downside. Had to repair the boost it lets out. Really noticeable. But muffler deletes are great option as well. Very affordable with a very noticeable sound. Also to each there own. A lot of the guys here prefer the handling aspect. I have a bagged wrx which in my option and a lot of the people who ride in my car can agree it’s an amazing ride. No I can’t go around a road coarse but for a daily to work and home. It’s great.

·
In Æternum
16,890 Posts
LOL priceless article. People just love to install the unnecessary AOS. It falls right in line with the following BOV. Also, everyone knows you need those coiiillls boyy! Lower means better handling, no matter what.
The only thing I agree with is #1 on that list.

It was written so that Vivid could sell parts to poor ignorant consumers. I'm actually going to keep that post and link even though the user was spamming us... just because it doesn't show well for Vivid...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pointless on EJ, port injection. VA is DI so AOS will reduce intake buildup in theory. Doesn't work well enough to justify the cost. Also fills with water if you make short trips. Convert to BRZ style D4S if you really want to solve this issue.

·
In Æternum
16,890 Posts
Pointless on EJ, port injection. VA is DI so AOS will reduce intake buildup in theory. Doesn't work well enough to justify the cost. Also fills with water if you make short trips. Convert to BRZ style D4S if you really want to solve this issue.

It is NOT pointless on EJ.

Yes, valves are cleaned by detergents, but blowby can still collect in the intercooler, throttle body, and (most importantly) cause octane dilution which leads to predet. The effect is quite minimal and will not be much value for a relatively stock car. Push the timing maps to the ragged edge of the det limit and you start to make a case for an AOS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts