ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has finally had it with noise my TBE free flow exhaust puts out.
This is especially apparent in our neighborhood when I come home from work. She says she can hear me coming down the street when she's inside the house. It is pretty loud and we live in somewhat of a reserved neighborhood. But the neighborhood kids still get to play with our kids, so it can’t be that bad.
If the neighbors stop letting their kids come over, then I’ll think about going completely back to the stock exhaust.

In the meantime:

I'm currently running a JDM Spec up pipe, scoobysport down pipe, center forward pipe, center rear pipe, and the scoobysport single tip muffler. (Basically a free flow exhaust).

Anyway, I'm currently trying to determine what would be the best bet:

Option 1:
Switch out the center rear section and replace it with the stock resonator pipe.

Option 2:
Switch out the sccobysport single tip muffler and replace it with the stock twin tip muffler.

I would like to go with option 1 since I love the exhaust note, but I'm not sure how much the resonator will reduce the noise level.

I'm not even sure if swapping back out the muffler will really buy me anything since both cats are gone.

I really don't want to throw the stock midpipe (cat 2) back on and I don't want to purchase an aftermarket free flowing exhaust. So I'm hoping I can get by with just swapping back out the resonator.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm planning to go with the TXS Stealthback and keep the stock muffler to keep noise down and maintain the stock look. From wot I hear it sound pretty much stock as well. If you still have your stock muffler I'd try swapping it back in and see how it goes. I mean if you got it, you got it. May as well give it a go since it doesn't take too long to swap back in. You'll have your answer right away as well.
Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My friend has a catless downpipe with the stock muffler on still. It sounds a tad different than stock, but the sound lvl isn't much louder (I would guess only 1 dB increase) than completely stock. He has a 4eat.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i am running a helix up/dn pipe and the stock exhaust. It is not really any louder then stock. I actually like it because cops around here are a$$holes and db test every car they see.

·
Registered
106 Posts
how about going to a muffler shop and have them weld on a long section of resonator? it'll still be free flowing but the resonator will help with the noise.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My Prodrive Muffler on the TurboXS Stealth back is fairly quiet until I get on it. No complaints from wife or neighbors yet. Just compliments on the sweet sound :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
i say insteadof drivng in your neighborhood in 2nd gear at say 30Mph drive in 3rd at 30mph...keep the speed the same, but move a gear up...It will make it run much quieter! basicly car will sound like its idling comeing through the neighborhood.

I can drive my sisters 65 Mustang with straigh pipes at 1am without bothering anybody...but when i get to the end of the neighborhood...everybody can hear me, but im to far away to care.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your input.

Bottom line, which one will be quieter?

Putting back on the resonator pipe or the stock muffler?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
stock muffler, but u will lose that "aftermarket" sound. It'll basically sound like stock again with a very minor difference than totally stock with all the cats in place.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Don't put the oem muffler on just yet, the scoobysport is probably one of the (if not the) best sounding muffler out there.

Try swapping the oem resonator section in first- shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour- and "see" what kind of results that yields.

If that doesn't work, try swapping in the oem 3rd cat- again a 1/2 hour job.

My guess is that you'll be fine after one or both swaps.

The muffler section is a funny piece- if you add just that piece on (w/ everything else stock) it only gains a hp or two (regardless of what some magazines have "proven"). BUT- when you open up the exhaust ie uppipe/downpipe that same muffler section will now yield close to 10 hp. Why? Because the muffler is now the major restriction in the exhaust.

The 3rd cat deletion only yields 3-5 hp- it would be a better choice in putting back than the oem muffler.

The oem muffler will do the most to quiet your car, but at a larger penalty.

Big Sky <----------- STi uppipe/Scoobysport downpipe/oem 3rd cat/oem resonator/Scoobysport muffler

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Definitely try to put the resonator on first. Like BigSky said, the scoobysport is one of the best sounding exhausts around and it would be a shame to simply dismiss it.

I think ALT+F4 has a good point. I have a full 3inch exhaust with a muffler that can be quite loud, and I've never had anyone complain about it, including the 'rents when I go home. They're both old(65+) and neither thinks it's loud. Just drive it quieter!

·
Registered
158 Posts
SteelCity_WRX said:
i am running a helix up/dn pipe and the stock exhaust. It is not really any louder then stock. I actually like it because cops around here are a$$holes and db test every car they see.
What part of town do you live in? Out here where I live I have yet to be pulled over for my obnoxiously loud catless exhaust. I've even had cops behind me at a light and in traffic and they don't even glance in my direction. Maybe they don't think the family wagon in front of them could possibly be making all that racket.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good advice

Thanks Big Sky,

I agree with you all on the sound. I went with ScoobySport because of Hayward and Scott's long history and ScoobySport's incredible sound.
I put the muffler on before getting the up, dp, and the midpipe and it sounded incredible.

It still sounds great, but now it sounds like it is always pissed off; even at idle. I didn't realize that the cats suppressed that much sound.

I originally didn't want to put back on the third cat, but seeing that Big Sky retained his and confirming with the Rallyperformance guys that I wouldn't see that much of a performance difference, it's got to be the best choice.

Especially since they also said that the resonator by itself will not make a noticeable difference.

Thanks guys. You rock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
waveoff said:
What part of town do you live in? Out here where I live I have yet to be pulled over for my obnoxiously loud catless exhaust. I've even had cops behind me at a light and in traffic and they don't even glance in my direction. Maybe they don't think the family wagon in front of them could possibly be making all that racket.:D
I live out in the suburbs of Huntsville AL.
It's not an issue with the cops, it's more of an issue with my wife and the neighbors.
Work is also becoming an issue. I'm getting forced up the food chain at work and it's getting more than a little embarrassing taking clients and my fellow colleagues out to lunch in my car without a long explanation of the WRC, Subaru racing heritage, and why my car is not rice. It's pretty funny when you are trying to have a serious business conversation over the exhaust sound.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
TurnWRX said:
hmm sounds like you might sell the wrx soon (gotta impress the clients :( ) Get a bmw :p
Never give up the WRX, unless it is for a STi or Evo when the WRX finally gives up the ghost (hopefully years from now!)

I had a BMW before I got the WRX. Liked it, but it was way to overpriced for what it delivered.

I don't see myself in another BMW, (unless they decide to release another 4 door m3). But I could still never justify the cost. Not compared to an Evo or STi. Not with 3 kids and a wife to support. :)

I'm not concerned with impressing my clients or staff with my car, but I don't want them to think I'm a punk kid either. The WRX will work out great once I get the sound down to a decent level...

·
Registered
158 Posts
pcauwels said:
I live out in the suburbs of Huntsville AL.
It's not an issue with the cops, it's more of an issue with my wife and the neighbors.
Work is also becoming an issue. I'm getting forced up the food chain at work and it's getting more than a little embarrassing taking clients and my fellow colleagues out to lunch in my car without a long explanation of the WRC, Subaru racing heritage, and why my car is not rice. It's pretty funny when you are trying to have a serious business conversation over the exhaust sound.
Actually, I was quoting SteelCity_WRX when I was asking about what part of town he lives in because we both live in Pittburgh. I didn't wanna end up in his neighborhood with my loud a$$ exhaust. A covert thread hijack attempt on my part...obviously it didn't work.:cool: I feel your pain though about quieting down the exhaust for the neighbors and stuff. I run a bosal twin tip on my catless exhaust and my wife said the same thing about being able to hear me from quite a distance. I feel a little embarrassed coming back late at night from the track when I can see the neighbors peeking out of their windows to see what that horrible sound is. I've often thought about having a resonator welded in but I don't wanna hack up my exhaust system should I decide to sell it later. I've resorted to running the stock catback and swapping to the bosal just before I go to the track. My butt dyno says there's no difference in power but my boost gauge tells me that the turbo spools up a tad slower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts